• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

£100k scoreboard. Yay or Nay.

Good enhancement of the matchday experience, over priced vanity project, do the fans really want one

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you disagree with a governmental decision do you stand for election as an MP?
You can if you want to and can find the requisite people to nominate you and put up the deposit. Hundreds do, from local campaigners to David Icke, though with rare exceptions like Martin Bell the party system and the huge difficulty of getting your message across to 80,000 electors usually works against you.

But the Trust is much more democratic than Parliament and you don't even have to risk losing a deposit, assuming you have invested £25 a year or £2 a month to become a Member. You can also put forward resolutions to the Trust AGM and have them voted on and become policy. It works, I have done it myself.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hardly a viable, or even sensible, comparison? I have always credited you with more intelligence sir.

In any event, I rarely agree with any of this government's decisions and I am #politicallyhomeless in any event.
I think it is perfectly relevant.
You are suggesting that if we disagree with the decision to buy the big screen then we should stand for election to the Trust Board. By inference and tone it suggests that you think this is not the place to discuss it Since this is not the official ECFC website I think we are free to discuss the merits and disadvantages of the scoreboard without needing to be a Trustee or even a Trust member It's just our opinion : not binding. It's a forum : exchange of views 'n all that

PS. I wouldn't credit me with too much intelligence. If I was that smart I wouldn't waste hours posting on these boards

Last edited:

IndoMike

Of course you can, JW ....sigh.
My point was that you can have an opinion (on Exeweb, for example) about the scoreboard without needing to be on the Trust Board, in the same way as you can disagree with the Govt without needing to be an MP. This was in response to Pete M's comment that we can stand for election to the TB if we don't agree with its decisions.

IndoMike

I take your point, but was merely providing background information on David Treharne's post (and a possible insight as to why he might appreciate further comment from "El Presidente"). I was certainly in favour of that acquisition at that time, given the evidence available . I am certainly broadly in favour now, but of course with the caveat that things are thoroughly re-evaluated all round in advance of any financial commitment.
The Manchester Utd games took place in January 2005 and those discussions took Place 2005/6. So to be pedantic it was 15/16 years ago rather than 15/20. I mention this not in any way as criticism, but to illustrate the vagaries of the beast that is Exeweb. Another respondent to you has already reinterpreted that as 20 years in his making his point, which predates the era of even that gruesome twosome Russell and Lewis ! Chinese whispers eh ? :love:
A small technicality. 10 years, 15:years whatever. The same principle. What would have had a wow factor then doesn't"t have it now. The novelty will wear off. Sometimes it will only be used for about one hour every 2 weeks when we have a home match. And where are they going to put it? Bearing in mind our shooting capability it might be in constant danger.
If it cost 50k and could attract a decent income I might be persuaded, but if hundreds of thousands ( Taggy's words - not mine)- no way.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course you can, JW ....sigh.
My point was that you can have an opinion (on Exeweb, for example) about the scoreboard without needing to be on the Trust Board, in the same way as you can disagree with the Govt without needing to be an MP. This was in response to Pete M's comment that we can stand for election to the TB if we don't agree with its decisions.
Ah, OK, get you now. that wasn't clear from your post.

IndoMike

Ah, OK, get you now. that wasn't clear from your post.
Hmm.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The swingometer is starting to favour the yay

DB9

Will this be a binary vote or will we have an "Ineffective Exeweb" for nearly four years until a Populist leader becomes known and holds an election to " Get Scoreboard Done!" ? 🙂

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will this be a binary vote or will we have an "Ineffective Exeweb" for nearly four years until a Populist leader becomes known and holds an election to " Get Scoreboard Done!" ? 🙂
I started the thread simply to find out if Taggy is correct and the fans do "want it".

DB9

I started the thread simply to find out if Taggy is correct and the fans do "want it".
Oh, You don't know what you've started Billy, The thread has a life of its own now! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.