• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread - 1.00pm Kick off

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm confused, why are you pining for Woodman? Page is a much better option and Sparkes is decent too. Of all the areas we have trouble with, LB is not one of them!
I"m not pining for Woodman. Where did you get that idea. I'm just saying that Woodman was a solid left back and smart and he would have been a good option for us. Page is good but his hamstring is a problem and might restrict his appearances. I like Sparkes, too, but I get the impression that he is more an attacker than a defender.

Albumen

[/
Well you could say why change the defensive system if it produced a pretty good defensive record and nearly got us in the autos, but that's another discussion
that doesn't really belong on this thread.
You could. But I am glad he has... much better to watch this season.

Fareham Grecian

It is a complete mystery how an accomplished lower league centre half hasn't been able to explain the basics of defending as a unit to a group of not incompetent players.
Nail on head for me. Matt was a great CB not because he was massively technically gifted but because he was committed, intelligent and organised. He talks as a manager as if he still possesses these qualities, and speaks well. So he can do it, he can communicate it, the players as you say are not completely useless, but they don’t seem to be able to do the basics. A mystery indeed.

Trapdoor

Nail on head for me. Matt was a great CB not because he was massively technically gifted but because he was committed, intelligent and organised. He talks as a manager as if he still possesses these qualities, and speaks well. So he can do it, he can communicate it, the players as you say are not completely useless, but they don’t seem to be able to do the basics. A mystery indeed.
We are playing Sweeney as a center back, which is not his natural position. Parkes is decent enough but too old to adapt his technique/mentality much now.

Sam Stubbs is a great signing because he is at an age where he can still learn effectively from Taylor and add to his already impressive ability.

Colesman Ballz

We are playing Sweeney as a center back, which is not his natural position. Parkes is decent enough but too old to adapt his technique/mentality much now.

Sam Stubbs is a great signing because he is at an age where he can still learn effectively from Taylor and add to his already impressive ability.
Have you not bothered to read the posts which correctly identified that Sweeney WAS a centre back up until he arrived at SJP. It was only subsequently that Tis started playing him at right back ?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I"m not pining for Woodman. Where did you get that idea. I'm just saying that Woodman was a solid left back and smart and he would have been a good option for us. Page is good but his hamstring is a problem and might restrict his appearances. I like Sparkes, too, but I get the impression that he is more an attacker than a defender.
How many left sided defenders do you want ?

You wanted to keep Woodman and Moxey adding them to Parkes, Hartridge, Page and Sparkes.

As I asked you earlier how many games did Woodman play last season ??

He needed to go as did Moxey.

Keeping either would have been the easy option as there is no way we couldn't do way better than either.

Full backs are not an issue for us, our full back options are very solid.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I asked you earlier how many games did Woodman play last season ??

He needed to go as did Moxey.

Keeping either would have been the easy option as there is no way we couldn't do way better than either.
You've seen McArdle play, yeah?! ;-)

arthur

I'm confused, why are you pining for Woodman?
Never mind Woodman, I'm still pining for Alex Jeannin ;)

(he could at least take a corner)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've seen McArdle play, yeah?! ;-)
Not sure what you are on about.

I clearly stated it hasn't worked out with him.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never mind Woodman, I'm still pining for Alex Jeannin ;)

(he could at least take a corner)
I remember a fair few of his crosses ending up in the Big Bank.

He loved a shank.