• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread - 1.00pm Kick off

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moxey was very poor in his final year for us. I suggest you watch some of the Torquay highlights from this season and you will see a player out of his depth in the league below.
I don't pretend to have watched any Torquay highlights, but, on the face of it, this seems harsh.

As far as I'm aware. Deano has started pretty much every game when he's been available. Moreover, Torquay have lost only once when he's done so and are 10 points clear at the top of the table, with one of the best defensive records in the league. Hard to envisage how they'd be in this position if Deano was 'a a liability'.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Woodman and Moxey needed to go. Page and Sparkes are fine at left back and Moxey was often a total liability at centre back. Tell me how many games Woodman played last season ? Hardly any.

Also Taylor didn't turn down the Lincoln job, he turned down the chance to talk to them, clearly there is a difference.
[/QUOTE]

For TPC (sorry I screwed up the "Reply").
You're right about Matt Taylor.
I think Woodman could have done another season and nothing you can say will dissuade me from that. He didn't let us down last season and would have been good to have I reserve (if he wanted to stay).
I also think the Martin and Moxey could combination was better than the combination we have now, although agree Movey had some bad off days. He could have done another year imo, like Woodman, an experienced back-up who was City through and through.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Woodman and Moxey needed to go. Page and Sparkes are fine at left back and Moxey was often a total liability at centre back. Tell me how many games Woodman played last season ? Hardly any.

Also Taylor didn't turn down the Lincoln job, he turned down the chance to talk to them, clearly there is a difference.

I think Woodman could have done another season and nothing you can say will dissuade me from that. He didn't let us down last season and would have been good to have I reserve (if he wanted to stay).
I also think the Martin and Moxey could combination was better than the combination we have now, although agree Movey had some bad off days. He could have done another year imo, like Woodman, an experienced back-up who was City through and through.
[/QUOTE]

Indo agree 100% with all you have said particularly with regards to Woody.

Albumen

Martin and Moxey played, more often than not, in a three at the back with wing backs. I don’t think Taylor fancied either of them in a flat back 4.

ChardGrecian

Another crock signing that hasn’t worked out.
Attangana‘s first touch is one of the worst ever - brings nothing much to the game. If Taylor can’t play then would rather see Kite. Friends in Cheltenham were laughing when we took him and their words were always a disaster waiting to happen

IndoMike

Indo agree 100% with all you have said particularly with regards to Woody.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, as I've said before, I think the three could have done one more season if they'd wanted it and they would have contributed one way or another

IndoMike

Martin and Moxey played, more often than not, in a three at the back with wing backs. I don’t think Taylor fancied either of them in a flat back 4.
Well you could say why change the defensive system if it produced a pretty good defensive record and nearly got us in the autos, but that's another discussion
that doesn't really belong on this thread.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
But then plenty of Matt's pronouncements would lead you to conclude he doesn't much fancy the flat back four he's gone with this season either! ;-)

arthur

But then plenty of Matt's pronouncements would lead you to conclude he doesn't much fancy the flat back four he's gone with this season either! ;-)
And the back three against Morecambe lasted 20 minutes!

It is a complete mystery how an accomplished lower league centre half hasn't been able to explain the basics of defending as a unit to a group of not incompetent players. I see Rob Edwards is coaching the Wales U19s - maybe he could do a bit of moonlighting for us on the side...

Grecian Max

I'm confused, why are you pining for Woodman? Page is a much better option and Sparkes is decent too. Of all the areas we have trouble with, LB is not one of them!