• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interestingly, the 5 least competent countries in handling Covid are run by illiberal, nationalistic, right wing populists. Make of that what you will.

View attachment 5172
As France follows in 6th place I think more detailed analysis might be required before conclusions can be drawn.

Alistair20000

I think IBA wants us to blame Boris and the nasty Tories. 🙄
Quite possibly.

My primary culprit is Mr Covid himself or whoever unleashed him if that is relevant.

Mr Jinx

2) if we are uniquely at risk in this country from a perfect storm of covid factors why has the government not acted sooner in locking down again, if someone on exeweb, can easily identify these factors why can't the government?
Hey, if you can find out why the Tories never shut the airports, or why Labour (or any other UK politician) never called for them to be shut, ever, to anyone, I'd be really interested. To me it was a no-brainer, but nothing's ever that clear cut or easy.

As to why we didn't lockdown earlier. That's easy - because of concerns around the economy, which we're about to see nosedive for a third time with all that that entails.

Wrt Japan, it's puzzled quite a few people, but here's a good article:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect the reasons for the various death rates are more complicated than a particular country being more incompetent that another in handling Covid.
Of course. But if, as has been suggested here, the UK was always likely to struggle more than many other places, an incompetent government is the very last thing you need.

elginCity

As France follows in 6th place I think more detailed analysis might be required before conclusions can be drawn.
No 6 is the most visited country in the world, in close proximity to No 5.

The top 4 countries each populated by well over a 100 million, No 5 is an island.

Alistair20000

Hey, if you can find out why the Tories never shut the airports, or why Labour (or any other UK politician) never called for them to be shut, ever, to anyone, I'd be really interested. To me it was a no-brainer, but nothing's ever that clear cut or easy.

As to why we didn't lockdown earlier. That's easy - because of concerns around the economy, which we're about to see nosedive for a third time with all that that entails.

Wrt Japan, it's puzzled quite a few people, but here's a good article:

An interesting read (y)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This piece by the always excellent Matthew Syed is also very good:

Alistair20000

No 6 is the most visited country in the world, in close proximity to No 5.

The top 4 countries each populated by well over a 100 million, No 5 is an island.
Covid does not respect national or natural boundaries.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interestingly, the 5 least competent countries in handling Covid are run by illiberal, nationalistic, right wing populists. Make of that what you will.

View attachment 5172
I thought there was a consensus that using covid cases as a measure wasn't very reliable. But if you do cases per million pop, we are 26th.

elginCity

I thought there was a consensus that using covid cases as a measure wasn't very reliable. But if you do cases per million pop, we are 26th.
Andorra and Gibraltar head the table, San Marino have taken our place in 5th. I think the other measure is probably a better reflection of competence !