• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw (Labour) has been consistently calling for closure of airports/testing since April last year.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrt Japan, it's puzzled quite a few people, but here's a good article:

Agree with Al, that is very interesting. Particularly :

"the government can count on the public to comply.
Despite not ordering people to stay at home, on the whole, they did."

Trust in government, compliance and masks.

Alistair20000

Andorra and Gibraltar head the table, San Marino have taken our place in 5th. I think the other measure is probably a better reflection of competence !
Did I see that San Marino top the table with deaths per 100k of population ?

Bald statistics a poor guide.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Andorra and Gibraltar head the table, San Marino have taken our place in 5th. I think the other measure is probably a better reflection of competence !
The other measure is heavily influenced by size of overall population.

Even ignoring the tiddlers, on cases per million, much of Europe is still above us including those populists in Czech Republic, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden and Portugal.

Our death rate is 9th worst in the world, far too high but all the countries above us are also European.

elginCity

Did I see that San Marino top the table with deaths per 100k of population ?

Bald statistics a poor guide.
Yes, deaths/million population. UK in the top ten, still thereabouts and moving up the table.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with Al, that is very interesting. Particularly :

"the government can count on the public to comply.
Despite not ordering people to stay at home, on the whole, they did."

Trust in government, compliance and masks.
Apparently, it was not dissimilar in Sweden. Much was made of the Swedish government not ordering a lockdown, but from what I've read they had no need to.

Alistair20000

Yes, deaths/million population. UK in the top ten, still thereabouts and moving up the table.
9th according to the table I saw. Not sure how accurate it is mind as Belgium was not shown and their death rate per population is above ours.

Any reasons you know for the Belgian scene Elgy ?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Even ignoring the tiddlers, on cases per million, much of Europe is still above us including those populists in Czech Republic, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden and Portugal.
This piece offers a plausible explanation for that: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/it-was-herd-thinking-that-left-the-west-defenceless-against-covid-zwwvggjh6

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Egg. Yes I read that piece earlier, Syed always writes well.

He is right but given the ferocious nature by which some people say it it their 'right' not to wear a mask, the whole big data / movement tracking thing is maybe a step too far for people. Irony is the majority of the the populus is perfectly content to plaster details of their lives all over social media 24/7 and share, however unwittingly, every last detail with the tech giants.

elginCity

The other measure is heavily influenced by size of overall population.
Yes, it is. UK 5th, Germany 10th, Japan 40th and China 82nd.