• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I refer you to Mat Taylor. Our Manager thought it was poor also.
I refer you to what I originally said:

"We haven't played in 2 weeks and I thought it showed, looked rusty. Some nice transitions and we seemed more of a unit than Wednesday but they had superior quality in front of goal."

All I was saying there was mitigating reasons behind not being at our best. Like 13 days of no football. This is against the backdrop of people saying our season is "fizzling out" after today.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rarely seen MT that annoyed. Bit surprised at his Bowman criticism - he had some poor games early on this season but he did alright today.

Law ran the show at Gillingham in the last round.
And was brilliant when he came on at Cheltenham.

elginCity

Why? Players get singled individually for praise more often than they ever get singled out for criticism by managers. Sometimes a it might be that a player needs grounding and a bit of realising that he is not bigger than the club and that is the way to go about it. I'm sure Matt knows who can deal with this and who can't.
Team spirit, loyalty to the group. He told us the players had already been singled out in the dressing room, nothing more to be gained by making it public, in fact it could prove counterproductive.

Grecian Max

It would be nice to have a cup run at least once every 40 years. I said I would be worried if we didnt perform on Tuesday, what evidence is there in the last three games that we will get a decent haul in the next three?
Given that we haven't got to the third round in 40 years, Round 3 should probably be considered a "cup run" for Exeter City.

grecIAN Harris

Team spirit, loyalty to the group. He told us the players had already been singled out in the dressing room, nothing more to be gained by making it public, in fact it could prove counter-productive.
And it might get the reaction from the player that he is looking for. Like I said, Matt will know which players he knows are man enough to take it on the chin and react positively from it and who are, shall we say............... a little flakey.

Pobbop

Given that we haven't got to the third round in 40 years, Round 3 should probably be considered a "cup run" for Exeter City.
Amazing that your lack of knowledge matches your arrogance.

grecIAN Harris

Where were you when we played Villa and Watford. Oh.... and United and Liverpool.:unsure:

Grecian Max

It would be nice to have a cup run at least once every 40 years. I said I would be worried if we didnt perform on Tuesday, what evidence is there in the last three games that we will get a decent haul in the next three?
Last 3 league games we beat Tranmere 5-0, sloppy against a poor Harrogate and then drew with FGR who are 3rd, 1 point off the top and probably shaded that one.

We face 3 bottom half sides, including the Harrogate side which smash and grabbed us... it's just level headed to say we will get a decent amount of points tbh. At 19 games we are in a false position league wise, having played up to 3 games less than those above us. We have the best GD in the division.

Anything else?

Grecian Max

Where were you when we played Villa and Watford. Oh.... and United and Liverpool.:unsure:
I meant we didn't get any further than the third round

...you forgot Everton and also 4 others.

iscalad

Think you mean 4th round