• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least Taylor is watching the same game as us supporters. Bowman needs a lot of chances to score. Always has done. Sparkes obviously needs a kick up the backside. But the main change has to be centre half. Parkes is ok but he has to play Hartridge now Mcardle is not good enough to old and to slow. Seymour not good enough. Fisher not good enough Nigel not good enough. Law. Passed it. Stick with key and Randell. Williams well. Give Kite a run. Give Dean a run give Jordan a run
How many players are you starting with ?

Grecianpasty

In terms of the match itself, regardless of who the opposition where, we played really poorly.

I can accept losing to a team two leagues above us, most would. But the manor in which we lost was concerning and I think MT can take a good chunk of the blame for that.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Their second, just for those who thought he was offside, the bloke is behind the ball. Onside, end of discussion.

Red Devon

Their second, just for those who thought he was offside, the bloke is behind the ball. Onside, end of discussion.
Was very close to being their TAH moment if old carthorse hadn’t got the final touch.

Pobbop

Got to say I find it odd, being criticised for frustrations about a performance that even our manager was frustrated about, but anyway we move on, C'mon you reds.

Albumen

We usually bounce back well after a performance like that. Hoping that Matt uses that as a reason to get some new faces in.

elginCity

I was surprised that he singled out Jack and Ryan like that. He said I'm only telling you what I've told them in there. I'm sure it is, but managers normally keep that in the dressing room. I know we all want to know the ins and outs of everything, but sometimes the least said in public the better.
Also surprised.

Whilst admiring of the manager's honesty - IMO what's said in the dressing room should stay in the dressing room, he shouldn't publicly criticise players individually, only as a collective, the team.

Last edited:

Albumen

Got to say I find it odd, being criticised for frustrations about a performance that even our manager was frustrated about, but anyway we move on, C'mon you reds.
It’s totally acceptable to be frustrated. But people went a little further than saying that was a ‘frustrating performance’.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also surprised.

Whilst admiring of the manager's honesty - IMO what's said in the dressing room should stay in the dressing room, he shouldn't criticise players individually, only as a collective, the team.
He decides how he manages his players if he considers they need a bit of public criticism that is his choice and fine by me.

grecIAN Harris

Also surprised.

Whilst admiring of the manager's honesty - IMO what's said in the dressing room should stay in the dressing room, he shouldn't publicly criticise players individually, only as a collective, the team.
Why? Players get singled individually for praise more often than they ever get singled out for criticism by managers. Sometimes a it might be that a player needs grounding and a bit of realising that he is not bigger than the club and that is the way to go about it. I'm sure Matt knows who can deal with this and who can't.