• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Art still asking about the benefits of Brexit despite the question being answered many times by its advocates on here. 🙄
He's not the only one, perhaps we've all missed it. Don't mean the notional gains such as 'sovereignty' or 'taking back control' both of which we've never lost anyway, but tangible benefits.

What are the tangible benefits to Brexit, Tav ? Are there any ?

Mr Jinx

I asked for Jinx's in particular and he has come up with two. Sovereignty and immigration. Both catch all phrases with no detail on exactly how more "sovereignty" and "control of immigration" are going to make this country a better place.
Depends largely on your definition of "better"? Given my recent successful job hunt, I'd say the outlook for British jobseekers is looking much more rosy post Dec 31st. So if you're out of work, about to be or just thinking of a career change/move, then I will say you should see some immediate benefits.

If you define how good a country is by how open its borders are or how multi-national its workforce is, then it's not going to be better is it.

I've just highlighted one above. (y):)(y)

Last edited:

tavyred

He's not the only one, perhaps we've all missed it. Don't mean the notional gains such as 'sovereignty' or 'taking back control' both of which we've never lost anyway, but tangible benefits.

There are, and like Jinxy I’ve given them several times. I’m more than prepared to concede Elgy that you will vehemently deny there are any tangible benefits, couple that with the fact that I can’t be assed to repeat myself and we have in fact already left, it just remains to us to wait and see who is right.
Deal? 👍

DB9

Depends largely on your definition of "better"? Given my recent successful job hunt, I'd say the outlook for British jobseekers is looking much more rosy post Dec 31st. So if you're out of work, about to be or just thinking of a career change/move, then I will say you should see some immediate benefits.

If you define how good a country is by how open its borders are or how multi-national its workforce is, then it's not going to be better is it.

I've just highlighted one above. (y):)(y)
After a bit of a flying start, Having a few interviews etc I'm finding now the complete opposite, Constantly sending out applications/CV's i am struggling to even get a "No Thanks" reply. I am prepared to do almost anything and my applications support this. I would really like to be as "Lucky" or as positive as you Jinxy but at the moment its not the case and i fear after todays news about Debenhams/Arcadia Group it will only get worse and Sunik extending the Furlough Scheme is just a delaying tactic.

Mr Jinx

After a bit of a flying start, Having a few interviews etc I'm finding now the complete opposite, Constantly sending out applications/CV's i am struggling to even get a "No Thanks" reply. I am prepared to do almost anything and my applications support this. I would really like to be as "Lucky" or as positive as you Jinxy but at the moment its not the case and i fear after todays news about Debenhams/Arcadia Group it will only get worse and Sunik extending the Furlough Scheme is just a delaying tactic.
Sorry to hear that. I guess being in the London area where a comparatively large percentage of its workforce comes from the EU, I'm going to see more of a benefit. I've seen the same with other ex-colleagues who have also recently gone on to take their pick from 2 or 3 offers.

All I can say is stick at it, try not to be disheartened. Easier said than done I know, but something will come along. It's a numbers game at the end of the day - keep spraying the CV out there far and wide.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB9

DB9

Sorry to hear that. I guess being in the London area with its comparatively large percentage of its workforce coming from the EU, I'm going to see more of a benefit. I've seen the same with other ex-colleagues who have also recently gone on to take their pick from 2 or 3 offers.

All I can say is stick at it, try not to be disheartened. Easier said than done I know, but something will come along. It's a numbers game at the end of the day - keep spraying the CV out there far and wide.
They do say London is like a country in itself and beyond the M25 you have a different view.

Mr Jinx

They do say London is like a country in itself and beyond the M25 you have a different view.
Indeed. I actually had a stint at hiring and firing in the last decade. It was interesting at the responses you would get to vacancies. There was always large percentage of CVs coming in from EU nationals (somewhere between 33% and 50%). It was always difficult to judge things like education not knowing much about the nuances of the education systems in such places. A bit of a generalisation, but EU nationals were generally willing to work for less, the main reason companies liked them.

Last edited:

DB9

Indeed. I had a stint at actually hiring and firing in the last decade. It was interesting at the responses you would get to vacancies. There was always large percentage of CVs coming in from EU nationals (somewhere between 33% and 50%). It was always difficult to judge things like education not knowing much about the nuances of the education systems in such places. A bit of a generalisation, but EU nationals generally work for less, the main reason companies like them.
My biggest bug bear is that the recent interviews I've had, The person doing it have asked me excatly the same questions, Virtually word for word, Its like they're all using the same interview handbook, Make the whole interview feel cold and unpersonal. I know I'm getting on a bit but i really think you need to get to know a bit about the person you're interviewing, Not read from some piece of paper, Its like when a cold caller rings you up and have a set of questions on a laminate to read or thought up by some uni educated focus group who've never been in the real world.

lamrobhero

I haven't heard the Government mention their less than 100 000 immigration policy lately - not when they anounced arangements in relation to Hong Kong and not when announcing their new immigration points system. Maybe I missed it or maybe there is another U-Turn in the offing? Now that the promise has served its purpose and got us out of the EU maybe the Tories will quietly forget about it.

Mr Jinx

Maybe I missed it or maybe there is another U-Turn in the offing? Now that the promise has served its purpose and got us out of the EU maybe the Tories will quietly forget about it.
The Tories may well forget about it, but there's many voters out there that won't.

Dear David Cameron, Remember that "tens of thousands" pledge? We certainly did. Yours, the British Public.

My biggest bug bear is that the recent interviews I've had, The person doing it have asked me excatly the same questions, Virtually word for word, Its like they're all using the same interview handbook, Make the whole interview feel cold and unpersonal. I know I'm getting on a bit but i really think you need to get to know a bit about the person you're interviewing, Not read from some piece of paper, Its like when a cold caller rings you up and have a set of questions on a laminate to read or thought up by some uni educated focus group who've never been in the real world.
I always take those as a gimme and witter on with my finely tuned answers, probably longer than I should if I was to be honest.

In the most recent round, during interview # 5 for one company, right whilst I was in the middle of doing a twenty minute presentation to 7 people (some quite senior), totally out of the blue I was asked "So what makes you happy?". That completely floored me I must say. Not that I don't know what makes me happy, but I just floundered as I quickly tried to think of what they might have wanted to hear me say.

Last edited: