• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League to assist lower leagues

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Depending on the terms of what clubs have to pay back, it would hardly be fair for some clubs to get money and some miss out. The Watkins money is in part due to the success of our academy. We are still losing income because of Covid which we otherwise would have had, so why should we use transfer monies to plug the black hole if other clubs are given a handout?

Oldsmobile-88

Depending on the terms of what clubs have to pay back, it would hardly be fair for some clubs to get money and some miss out. The Watkins money is in part due to the success of our academy. We are still losing income because of Covid which we otherwise would have had, so why should we use transfer monies to plug the black hole if other clubs are given a handout?
It looks like any money that is given out will be in the shape of loans which will of course have to be paid back(with interest I assume) something that clubs who are reasonably solvent should avoid if they can.

I would imagine the loan pay back would be secured against future TV revenues just to make it water tight in the world of charlatans running some EFL clubs.
That way there would be no advantage to profligacy at clubs in the past or future.

I expect all clubs will have a grant to cover certain expenses(testing)but I doubt it will touch the sides of what they will have lost from not having crowds through the gates & the other ancillary revenue that has been lost.

denzel

Doubt we are in "significant covid related distress" so don't think we'd get anything.
Are we not? Maybe it needs a club to go bust for this to be taken seriously

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Greg Clarke is so embarrassing. There can't be many groups left to insult!

Last edited:

STURTZ

When it comes to the shake down I'm not expecting fairness to come into it, we've got money others haven't so they get the cash if there is any to be had. Most we can hope for is a pat on the head and we retain our independance from premiership sponsored teams. Until our money runs out of course!

denzel

Masters said that there is no blank cheque but those failing to pay their players can be helped out.
So naff all for those who have kept to a budget

Boyo

When it comes to the shake down I'm not expecting fairness to come into it, we've got money others haven't so they get the cash if there is any to be had. Most we can hope for is a pat on the head and we retain our independance from premiership sponsored teams. Until our money runs out of course!
Any bailout will likely be in the form of loans, which of course will need to be paid back / offset against any future TV deal. If we say 'no thanks' then we'd not be liable for loan repayments for the short-medium term.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Update

tonykellowfan

"The Premier League’s offer currently includes unconditional funding – a split between loans and grants totalling £50m – to clubs in League One and League Two."

Banksy

‘ But with an estimated 10 clubs in League One and Two struggling to make payroll in November ‘

Be interesting to know which clubs they are.