• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

All this nationalism/flag waving stuff is the usual right wing deflection from real issues.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps if the racists hadn't hijacked our flag and wrapped themselves in it, that wouldn't be the case.
You simply don’t abandon our flag just because some ne’er do wells are attempting to claim it for themselves. I remember that celebratory parade a few years back which involved thousands of people in their community groups walking past the Queen down the mall. A lovely black lady was draped in the Union flag and during a quick chat with a BBC she declared that this was her flag and the racists simply could not have it. That’s how you engender a healthy sense of patriotism in this country.

cannockred

All this nationalism/flag waving stuff is the usual right wing deflection from real issues.
And the above is the usual left wing deflection from not having the answers to the real issues.

Reactions: DB9

tavyred

Yeah, thanks for that Indo. 👍

DB9

I think people are very proud to wave the flag, The Cenotaph has the flag draped over it, That racist? Just because the vile extremists have hijacked the flag doesn't mean it can't be used by other people, What real issues is the flag deflecting?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Arriving at the summit, French President Emmanuel Macron said his country's fishermen would not "in any situation" be "sacrificed to Brexit".
"We didn't choose Brexit. Preserving access for our fishermen to British waters is an important point for us," source BBC.

Which part of leaving the EU does this idiot not understand? You may not have chosen Brexit Mr Macron, we did though!
That's fine Emmanuel. Just agree to a free trade agreement with the UK, with no tariffs and no restrictions on what industries our governments may choose to support, and your fishermen can catch all the cod and scallops they want and your farmers and vignerons can continue to export all their lovely produce to the UK, to their hearts content.

We can even continue to share naval resources.

An entente vraiment cordiale

DB9

Better hide my Confederate flag then.🤣
p.s it’s on my little study wall but as an American Civil War buff I feel I should be allowed to keep it there without any feelings of racist guilt.Now , as to my life size effigy of Robert E Lee.....
Bet you dress up in the full regalia at weekends too 👍🤣

lamrobhero

We are individuals. We each have our own sense of cultural identity. If we identify as British we have our own sense of what it is to be Britiish. What is it to do with politicians?

cannockred

We are individuals. We each have our own sense of cultural identity. If we identify as British we have our own sense of what it is to be Britiish. What is it to do with politicians?
Interesting quote that! Why is it ok to be scottish first and british second but not to be english first. It would appear that to be English first automatically means you are racist according to the left?

lamrobhero

I think people are very proud to wave the flag, The Cenotaph has the flag draped over it, That racist? Just because the vile extremists have hijacked the flag doesn't mean it can't be used by other people, What real issues is the flag deflecting?
I as an individual may be proud to wave a flag. Waving the flag means different things to different people. I as an individual may not be proud to wave a flag. So what? Why is my choice as to cultural identity a political issue? Why do politicains see it as their job to try and define my cultural identity?