• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately they did and it was assumed that every one who had one on display was a racist, Can't remember which Labour MP but they posted and derided a scene where there was a flag hanging out of a window and a white Transit van on the drive saying something that assumed those people were racist without no proof or anything because they thought it typified how a racist would live.
Interesting take of a tweet with a photo of flags and a van, and a comment ‘image from Rochester’.

The flag has long been associated with the racists- BNP union flags, EDL the cross of St George. That said, plenty of other people happily fly the flag, latterly during the VE celebrations, and nobody assumes they’re all racists. Not that I’m aware of.

Rosencrantz

I wouldn't know as I'm not a Brexiteer but I'd hazard that outside of Cornwall and Grimsby, very few people voted leave so we could catch more fish.

My reading of the runes is most would gladly let the pecheurs of Normandy continue to plunder the Channel in exchange of for a comprehensive FTA with few/no strings.

I accept that people in Newlyn may think differently.

Funnily enough the Scots would be irked too by letting the French continue to fish but given 'they are being dragged out against their will' and they want back in anyway, I'm sure they will be very happy for the fishing rights to be traded...
That would be my pragmatic view on fishing rights also. It is just that the government have made a large noise about fishing rights which seems to be about appeasing the more Farage led brexit supporters to whom "take back control" seem to hold the UK territorial waters rights in a more principled light.

It would be more pragmatic for the government to hold fishing rights as a big trade off mechanism for a more comprehensive agreement which benefit the majority and deal with the noise kicked up.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting take of a tweet with a photo of flags and a van, and a comment ‘image from Rochester’.

The flag has long been associated with the racists- BNP union flags, EDL the cross of St George. That said, plenty of other people happily fly the flag, latterly during the VE celebrations, and nobody assumes they’re all racists. Not that I’m aware of.
I did question who amongst the "left" has said that being English first, British second is racist. As of yet I haven't had a response.

elginCity

Which part of leaving the EU does this idiot not understand? You may not have chosen Brexit Mr Macron, we did though!
The upsides to Brexit, who understands that ?!

You chose it.

Alistair20000

I wouldn't know as I'm not a Brexiteer but I'd hazard that outside of Cornwall and Grimsby, very few people voted leave so we could catch more fish.

My reading of the runes is most would gladly let the pecheurs of Normandy continue to plunder the Channel in exchange of for a comprehensive FTA with few/no strings.

I accept that people in Newlyn may think differently.

Funnily enough the Scots would be irked too by letting the French continue to fish but given 'they are being dragged out against their will' and they want back in anyway, I'm sure they will be very happy for the fishing rights to be traded...
The miserable, carping whinging Scots are never happy.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would be my pragmatic view on fishing rights also. It is just that the government have made a large noise about fishing rights which seems to be about appeasing the more Farage led brexit supporters to whom "take back control" seem to hold the UK territorial waters rights in a more principled light.

It would be more pragmatic for the government to hold fishing rights as a big trade off mechanism for a more comprehensive agreement which benefit the majority and deal with the noise kicked up.
I don't think the Gov have made an especially big noise. Macron has made a big noise and as it is one of the very few cards Frosty has to play, it is being played repeatedly.

tavyred

The EU wants a long term deal on fishing (25 years I think) the U.K. wants it to be an annual negotiation as per a deal it’s just signed with Norway last week.
Sounds reasonable to me for a newly reestablished independent coastal state not to be bound by a 25 year agreement to fish in its own waters.

tavyred

More willy waving from Macaroon.
Interesting poll being referenced on ‘Sky Views’ this morning. It would appear the french public are almost alone in Europe in thinking the U.K. have the upper hand in the Brexit negotiations and the theory is that Macron is giving it the big one in an attempt to improve his plummeting approval ratings.
I still think on balance a deal will be done.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Weren’t we supposed to be walking away yesterday if nothing was agreed?

If so, I’d suggest we will be after a deal. Particularly if the Govt believe Trump will lose the election, he won’t, but they may think he will.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
[
Weren’t we supposed to be walking away yesterday if nothing was agreed?

If so, I’d suggest we will be after a deal. Particularly if the Govt believe Trump will lose the election, he won’t, but they may think he will.
We're settling for an Australia-style deal according to Johnson. Of course Australia don't have a deal with the EU, so there we are.