• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Those are great films but there are some great modern ones out there, International ones if you don't mind subtitles, There is on Youtube a countdown of Top 10 Russian war films and I've seen a lot of them, That's worth a look for some ideas, They are cracking films, Also some German made ones too.
Yes , the nineties German made film Stalingrad comes to mind , gritty film .And of course Das Boot .What did you think of Fury with Brad Pitt about the Sherman tank crew , not too bad apart from the overdone ending.

Oldsmobile-88

On Sunday 18th September 1977 the first edition of ‘It’ll Be Alright On The Night’ was broadcast.
It was a surprisingly(at the time)popular programme presented by Denis Norden.
Until then outtakes we not considered for public viewing because they were considered unprofessional.
The programme was a one off initially but was so well received many more were made over the following years.24F75DA6-F862-409A-9C2D-278F97944163.jpeg289E66A5-E27D-4FED-9C75-E33162C47841.jpeg

DB9

Yes , the nineties German made film Stalingrad comes to mind , gritty film .And of course Das Boot .What did you think of Fury with Brad Pitt about the Sherman tank crew , not too bad apart from the overdone ending.
I liked Fury, One thing to me that came across was the winter of early 1945 everyone was tired of the war, It was gritty and coming into Germany there was the senseless death of thousands which was so unnessacary as the Germans were fighting a lost cause and that the poor German citizen, Young and old were forced to do their bit. Also being in a tank was not much fun either!

iscalad

Yep, The All Creatures we like too but TBH there is very little we like together, She'll watch a drama about something or other and i roll my eyes and either put the laptop on or go to the other room with a TV in it, I'm amazed we're still together after over 30 years! :LOL:
You and me both. :unsure:

Banksy

I liked Fury, One thing to me that came across was the winter of early 1945 everyone was tired of the war, It was gritty and coming into Germany there was the senseless death of thousands which was so unnessacary as the Germans were fighting a lost cause and that the poor German citizen, Young and old were forced to do their bit. Also being in a tank was not much fun either!
Tanks , on that subject , we were invited to Berlin for two weeks just after the Wall came down and the aunt of our friend took us out for the day.Part of the tour involved seeing burnt out wrecks of tanks which were still around in odd places.Her late husband was in the SS , she said he had been drafted in under duress because he was very tall with fair hair Hitler’s idea of the ideal German! He had a bad nervous breakdown after the war because of things he’d been made to do . On the theme of Stalingrad I‘ m just reading the book on which Enemy at the Gates was based.Hundred of thousands killed there alone , makes C19 seem like a nothing.

DB9

Tanks , on that subject , we were invited to Berlin for two weeks just after the Wall came down and the aunt of our friend took us out for the day.Part of the tour involved seeing burnt out wrecks of tanks which were still around in odd places.Her late husband was in the SS , she said he had been drafted in under duress because he was very tall with fair hair Hitler’s idea of the ideal German! He had a bad nervous breakdown after the war because of things he’d been made to do . On the theme of Stalingrad I‘ m just reading the book on which Enemy at the Gates was based.Hundred of thousands killed there alone , makes C19 seem like a nothing.
It does, Apparently one person every 13 seconds was killed during that battle, Not sure if that is true but the amount of deaths were staggering!

Banksy

It does, Apparently one person every 13 seconds was killed during that battle, Not sure if that is true but the amount of deaths were staggering!
Well , when you think the Germans alone lost the bulk of their Sixth Army under Paulus Including Italians , Hungarians and Romanians with I think around 800 thousand deadI can believe it.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Well , when you think the Germans alone lost the bulk of their Sixth Army under Paulus Including Italians , Hungarians and Romanians with I think around 800 thousand deadI can believe it.
And out of the 90,000+ that surrended, Only 5,000 made it home, Some 10-12 years later.

Alistair20000

Yes , same here. Do like the older war films , Where Eagles Dare , Bridge at Ramagen , Eagle has Landed typeand we’ll both setttle down with one of those too.
(y)

All those are great fillums and I would watch Where Eagles Dare in particular any time it is scheduled.

Would go on a parachutists course to jump out into the sky with the sadly early departed Mary Ure

Alistair20000

Must ‘fess up to nodding off while watching Van Der Valk on TP last night. :(