• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tricky cup opponents, Maidstone.
Yep...Drawn against them 4 times in 11 years.
Thank goodness the 1st round draw is national these days.
I remember the defeat that season was on a really bad pitch...The pitch was just as bad a couple of seasons later.Thankfully the Grecians display that day was a vast improvement.

Rosencrantz

Yep...Drawn against them 4 times in 11 years.
Thank goodness the 1st round draw is national these days.
I remember the defeat that season was on a really bad pitch...The pitch was just as bad a couple of seasons later.Thankfully the Grecians display that day was a vast improvement.
We only just sneaked past them in 89/90 although they were at least in the same division as us by then.

Colesman Ballz

No difficulties at their place in Jan 81 however when we won 4-2 in the 3rd Round. Iirc Kells notched a hatrick leaving us all very happy and paved the way for a trip to Filbert St in the fourth round. :)

Oldsmobile-88

No difficulties at their place in Jan 81 however when we won 4-2 in the 3rd Round. Iirc Kells notched a hatrick leaving us all very happy and paved the way for a trip to Filbert St in the fourth round. :)
Kells got 1,Dave Pullar a couple.I can’t recall who got the other without reference.

I remember the Grecians going 2-0 up in the first half to settle things down.Maidstone had beaten Gillingham in a local derby the round before,iirc in front of over 10,000.

Oldsmobile-88

We only just sneaked past them in 89/90 although they were at least in the same division as us by then.
What a game the replay was at SJP,3-2 after extra time in atrocious conditions...What cup football should be all about.
The game would not have taken place in today’s daft world of cancelling games over a few puddles.

Rosencrantz

What a game the replay was at SJP,3-2 after extra time in atrocious conditions...What cup football should be all about.
The game would not have taken place in today’s daft world of cancelling games over a few puddles.
Including the only penalty Dazza missed that season although he did score twice to make up for it. It was a filthy night though. Similar to when we beat Orient on penalties to get a third round tie against Villa. In his interview after scoring the winning sudden death penalty, Jon Brown said he closed his eyes. Much like the rest of the crowd I expect. My Uncle travelled back up to Lyneham in my mum's jogging bottoms after we all got drenched on the big bank that night. Serves him right for sneaking down 🤫

Oldsmobile-88

24th February 1979...I remember this game,Swansea were going well as were the Grecians.
Swansea had John Toshack playing & managing were on the journey that would eventually lead to a top 6 finish in Division One within 3 years.
D682F197-20B0-40C9-BD58-17F72E97A958.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Great crowd at SJP 7,697.

Only 3,300 at Huddersfield,they must have been rattling around in that big old ground.Leeds Rd had a capacity of around 42,000 in those days.

StroudGrecian

24th February 1979...I remember this game,Swansea were going well as were the Grecians.
Swansea had John Toshack playing & managing were on the journey that would eventually lead to a top 6 finish in Division One within 3 years.
View attachment 3260
I remember that game well as it was the day I refused to play rugby for the school on a Saturday and told them I was going to see the City beat the Welsh instead - my 'punishment' was to be told that I'd 'never play rugby for the school again' and was moved out of rugby altogether and into the 'football' set. :unsure:

Gutted! :ROFLMAO:

Oldsmobile-88

10th March 1979..Another 7,000 plus crowd at SJP another team that were bound for the top flight.
9302156E-A98A-462B-886A-B17544710205.jpeg