• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
10th March 1979..Another 7,000 plus crowd at SJP another team that were bound for the top flight.
View attachment 3262
Sad to think that those fans had all but disappeared a few years later.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember that game well as it was the day I refused to play rugby for the school on a Saturday and told them I was going to see the City beat the Welsh instead - my 'punishment' was to be told that I'd 'never play rugby for the school again' and was moved out of rugby altogether and into the 'football' set. :unsure:
1979 - Rugby Rebellion
2020 - Extinction Rebellion

Once a rebel, always a rebel ! :)

Oldsmobile-88

Sad to think that those fans had all but disappeared a few years later.
Yep..Start of a big decline at the turn of the decade.
4,408 the average that season(78/79) dropped to around 1,900 by 85/86 before slowly recovering in 89/90 to the levels a decade before.

In those days SJP seemed to attract a lot more floating fans for the more interesting games against opposition who were on a roll.

Oldsmobile-88

31st March 1979.
1619EA7B-23F2-4DAE-B9EB-26B8E75BAEAC.png

DB9

Were these around the time when Torquay played on Friday or Saturday evening?

Rosencrantz

I guess Watford brought quite a few to explain the drop of getting on for 4k attendance figures in the same month! I also note the away record 😕. Good to see Jim McNichol on target again 👍.

Oldsmobile-88

I guess Watford brought quite a few to explain the drop of getting on for 4k attendance figures in the same month! I also note the away record 😕. Good to see Jim McNichol on target again 👍.
Not more than 1,000 from what I recall.There was a lot of interest around Watford(& Swansea) at the time..Especially with the Elton John raising the profile of the club.
The League Cup 4th Round game the previous November attracted over 14,000 of which around 1,500-2,000 were from Watford..Elton was not at the game he was in a Paris clinic getting his ‘barnet’ sorted out(not joking ! 😁)

Oldsmobile-88

I also note the away record 😕
Yep..Stopped the promotion push in March.

Rosencrantz

Yep..Stopped the promotion push in March.
Shows the value of play offs whatever your view on them from an interest perspective.

Oldsmobile-88

Shows the value of play offs whatever your view on them from an interest perspective.
Tbh,I’m not a fan of the play off system,but can see the value of that potential lottery to clubs & fans.