• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

20/21 Season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Restarting on 29 August is going to be very tight for planning purposes (e.g. cconsultation around the fixtures list). We won't know who will be joining Barrow on L2 next season until the play off finals are completed on 2 August. We are no longer clear who will be relegated, will it be Stevenage or will it be Macclesfield. I don't know when the appeal by the EFL will be heard.

Will there be pre-season friendlies? We normally play them in July, but will now have to be in August. I guess though they will be behind doors friendlies.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think I’d be in favour of just playing two or three home friendlies behind closed doors just to keep things as easy and hassle free as possible rather than the normal tour of Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We also need to know when the transfer window closes. I don't expect us to make any signings until we know how much the EFL will refund us for the play offs and, then any signings to be as late as possible.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
^^^^
Seems like they’re very much favouring an August 29 start date.

With City rarely getting above 60% ish capacity I wonder how much lower we’d actually have to drop to be able to watch in safety!
Next season I doubt we'll get much over 40%. People aren't going to be rushing back into SJP to watch us play the likes of Morecambe and Crawley for the umpteenth year running.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am doomsterish about next season. Even if it starts I struggle to see how it will pan out as intended.

It seems almost inconceivable we will get through the winter without some form of re-lockdown, even on a local level.

They should plan a 23 game season. Play everyone once with no midweek games, except Boxing Day / New Years Day. Keep the FA Cup, replays also at weekends.
See where we end up.

If by January, it looks like the season will be wrapped up by mid-Feb, plan something for the other 2 months.

Financially it is problematic but trying to have a full season squeezed into 3 less weeks, even if you ditch the Check-a-wotsit and FA Cup replays is, IMO, bonkers.

Oldsmobile-88

We also need to know when the transfer window closes. I don't expect us to make any signings until we know how much the EFL will refund us for the play offs and, then any signings to be as late as possible.
Perhaps a good reason & time to get rid of it in the EFL.
Go back to a certain number of transfers/loan signings allowed in a season & none after a cut off day near to the last section of the season(it used to be the end of March)
All a Transfer Window facilitates is rushed & rash signings with the pressure that consequently puts on club finances.
The only winners are agents.

denzel

Stop with the doom and gloom!
Give MT some credit, we improved from last season and yes we were poor at Wembley but that was one game.
I hope we can get back to playing in front of crowds from the off. I'd like to see a few more home grown players coming through and I'm not too keen on the thought of more physicality, but I'll be there if I'm allowed, regardless of how we are doing.
Just imagine, we could have gone the way of Torquay, Wrexham, Stockport or even Bury!

IndoMike

I am doomsterish about next season. Even if it starts I struggle to see how it will pan out as intended.

It seems almost inconceivable we will get through the winter without some form of re-lockdown, even on a local level.

They should plan a 23 game season. Play everyone once with no midweek games, except Boxing Day / New Years Day. Keep the FA Cup, replays also at weekends.
See where we end up.

If by January, it looks like the season will be wrapped up by mid-Feb, plan something for the other 2 months.

Financially it is problematic but trying to have a full season squeezed into 3 less weeks, even if you ditch the Check-a-wotsit and FA Cup replays is, IMO, bonkers.
At first I thought that was a good idea, Red, and it's certainly not a bad idea imo.
But we have to be positive, although as you say that positivity might prove to be misplaced.
I think the League should arrange fixtures for a full season, but with a clear Plan B and even a Plan C if necessary if things go wrong.
The League has time to work this out.

Oldsmobile-88

Stop with the doom and gloom!
Give MT some credit, we improved from last season and yes we were poor at Wembley but that was one game.
I hope we can get back to playing in front of crowds from the off. I'd like to see a few more home grown players coming through and I'm not too keen on the thought of more physicality, but I'll be there if I'm allowed, regardless of how we are doing.
Just imagine, we could have gone the way of Torquay, Wrexham, Stockport or even Bury!
I watched the U23 PL cup games at SJP last season.The young players that are coming through make me feel optimistic about the future.

I look at Jack Sparkes & Archie Collins who came through that route who both looked very comfortable in L2 last season as proof of my optimism.

Oldsmobile-88

On the bright side of staying in L2 a few of my favourite away trips are still on the radar next season(hopefully there are not restrictions for away support !)

Tranmere again means a weekend on the Wirral & a trip to Scouserland..Plus my old favourites of Morecambe,Carlisle & Port Vale.In fact anywhere in the Midlands or North..The only trips I dislike are any that involve the M25..