• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

20/21 Season

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whatever division the Grecians will be playing in next season.It’s difficult see a start to the new season before October.

I would imagine the League Cup & the Paint Pot Trophy will fall by the wayside.
Though that could be a moot point due to sponsorship rights.
The EFL may have to reimburse the sponsors of those competitions.

The 20/21 season could well end at the end of June/early July 2021 with a October start.But that would fall foul of Euro 21 ?

Difficult decisions to be made in the next couple of months for the EFL.Expect more waffle.

Nigel E

Expect that the FA Cup will become a midweek competition without replays. The big clubs have been pressing for that for ages and will take their opportunity now.

They'll have to finish the season during May due to the Euros still going ahead. They may try to start by mid-Sept, but still implies a more compressed season, with lots of midweek matches - just when squads become smaller due to financial pressures.

From an international perspective, qualifying for the 2022 World Cup will need to start too.

denzel

I'll just be happy to see any football with a crowd.
I'm not fussed about the league cup and imagine that the leasing will be axed when the B Teams replace the league two sides which go bust in the meantime

Red Devon

Although I’m all for finishing this season with the playoffs, I hope 20/21 doesn’t start until Supporters are aloud back...the playoffs will create some serious interest and hopefully excitement for some of us...I’ve a feeling starting a new season behind closed doors would fall completely flat on it’s face if it went on for too long without fans!

Oldsmobile-88

More home midweek fixtures would have a impact on revenue.Crowd numbers are around 20% lower compared to a Saturday fixture iirc.

Oldsmobile-88

Although I’m all for finishing this season with the playoffs, I hope 20/21 doesn’t start until Supporters are aloud back...the playoffs will create some serious interest and hopefully excitement for some of us...I’ve a feeling starting a new season behind closed doors would fall completely flat on it’s face if it went on for too long without fans!
Most clubs in L1 & L2,ours included would not survive without paying customers,no matter how short the period.
There is no point starting the season unless crowds are allowed.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have read some reports saying there could be a phased reintroduction of fans in October, perhaps starting at 25% of capacity.

Colesman Ballz

There should be no restart of the new season in the EFL until fans are allowed back. Playing behind closed doors for any amount of time is a financial non starter, and would just put clubs out of business in the lower leagues, and that would probably apply even in the Championship.

sign of the chimes

I would imagine the League Cup & the Paint Pot Trophy will fall by the wayside.
Though that could be a moot point due to sponsorship rights.
The EFL may have to reimburse the sponsors of those competitions.
I guess leasing.com would just be able to seize the trophy if ts & cs weren't adhered to.

Rosencrantz

I guess leasing.com would just be able to seize the trophy if ts & cs weren't adhered to.
That should get their £50 back.