• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The majority shareholder would clearly only sell if it thought the future could be brighter for Exeter City with a new form of ownership. In terms of influence, I would argue strongly that the fans should be represented on any board. I have always been of the view that any owner of a football club is essentially a custodian on behalf of the fans. That's why I talk about the people of Exeter. They are Exeter City in my view.
Thank you

1) So the thousands of Argyle, Torquay, Bristol City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Exeter Chiefs fans living in Exeter get a vote but not the Yorkshire or Norwegian Grecians?

2) I thought the thrust of your argument was that ECFC wasn't commercial enough (village fete I remember). So how does that fit with the idea of an 'owner being a custodian on behalf of the fans'. If that's what you want, then how about an owner who is er, appointed by significant group of fans - to which the only barrier to join is £24

3) You still haven't set out who Option B is. If not a specific name, a 'concept' would do for a start.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lockdown must be getting to me , even I'm agreeing with G2K !
Don't fret too much. As Iscalad has pointed out they are working to find a vaccine for us.

Still, even though we might well be poles apart on things political it is gratifying and reassuring that, in matters of REAL importance, we are still able to find common cause.

Dannyred

Danny, your statement surely should read “as I believe the Trust cannot move us any further forward”, to say otherwise would not be factually correct. It is about your perception of the Trust and hence your opinion, nothing more than that.
I think it’s also a majority of city fans who don’t support the trust.

We got lucky with players being sold, it could of been a lot different.

Also we don’t have enough experienced career minded people to move us forward.

Alistair20000

I am no expert in buying companies unlike some but I would think the shares are worth whatever somewhat wants to pay for them that is agreeable to the seller (The Trust). Is that how it works Ali?
Assuming this question was addressed to me, the value of the shares is what is agreed between a willing buyer and seller.

I have been indulging in drinking prolific quantities of wine today mind. :)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Assuming this question was addressed to me, the value of the shares is what is agreed between a willing buyer and seller.

I have been indulging in drinking prolific quantities of wine today mind. :)
Excellent.

Ed's consortium "So we'll give you £0, please give us your shares"
Trust "No, they are worth £15 million"
EC "No they aren't"
Trust "Yes they are, and we are the seller"
EC "Ok, how about £100k"
Trust "£15 million"

End of negotiation.

Hope the wine is of suitable quality btw

Alistair20000

Very good. I actually said our potential is to be a sustainable Championship side within 10 years. I imagine the Trust's shares are worth next to zero. The club is loss-making, doesn't own hardly anything and has a load of liabilities.
Some cash in the bank and rights to player sell on fees but a loss making business and no underlying intrinsic value.

Grecian2K

And, to paraphrase the late Samuel Goldwyn (of MGM fame)…."the harder they worked, the luckier they got"

Alistair20000

Excellent.

Ed's consortium "So we'll give you £0, please give us your shares"
Trust "No, they are worth £15 million"
EC "No they aren't"
Trust "Yes they are, and we are the seller"
EC "Ok, how about £100k"
Trust "£15 million"

End of negotiation.

Hope the wine is of suitable quality btw
Yes three very nice bottles from the Loire Valley (y)

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
In response to the OP YES - Move On 😴😴😴😴😴😴

GJW

I think it’s also a majority of city fans who don’t support the trust.

Also we don’t have enough experienced career minded people to move us forward.
Danny, I think the majority of city fans do support the trust concept. Let’s see how that pans out.

Why lucky? It’s a process. The process is controlled and managed by experienced and qualified people who have to make the right decisions at the right time to maximise the benefit for the club. They live or die by these decisions, and the timing is imperative. I’d say it was a bit more than Luck, personally.

I personally don’t want career minded people at the club. Career-minded means they are only interested in their own progression and not necessarily the company’s (Club). I want Club minded people.

The Club progression must be measurable and sustainable, without undue risk-taking. Slow and steady is better that boom and bust.
I would say, barring the recent Situation, we are progressing, maybe not quickly enough for some. I doubt whether there is anyone on the Club and Trust Board that does not want to see us, realistically, playing in the Championship in the next 5 or 6 years. I doubt they think that success is being a good L2 club only.
What do you think?