• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

Legohead

Banned
I say No as the trust cannot move us any further forward.

We own our football club is laughable 😂

Time for a change now.
I don't understand the comment 'the trust cannot move us any further forward'.

Currently we are in the midst of a global pandemic. The ultimate aim of most clubs at our level for the next X amount of years is simply to survive let alone move 'further forward' so that ship has sailed for the foreseeable.

Even before the pandemic we were competing at the top end of league 2 for some years in a row and whilst we have not reached league 1 yet, we can rest secure in the knowledge that the target of reaching league 1 is certainly attainable whilst we still retaining our current structure as a fan owned club.

To compete at the top end of league 1 and in the Championship and thus 'moving forward' takes either a lot of money or a lot of luck but usually both. It also takes a huge amount of risk and that risk is not worth the punt to ultimately end up back where we started anyway, as invariably most boom or bust clubs do.

We own a solvent, community focused, competitive, well respected football club that provides many fans with a purpose in their life and provides many fans with enjoyment. Isn't that enough?

This pandemic should have taught us to live in the here and now and enjoy the here and now and not worry about what is in the future. The future may disappoint.

ex_user1234

Resigned
I am no expert in buying companies unlike some but I would think the shares are worth whatever somewhat wants to pay for them that is agreeable to the seller (The Trust). Is that how it works Ali?
100% correct.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very good. I actually said our potential is to be a sustainable Championship side within 10 years. I imagine the Trust's shares are worth next to zero. The club is loss-making, doesn't own hardly anything and has a load of liabilities.
Ok so if Option B has to pay £0, why would the majority shareholder sell?
The thousands of Trust members who have given hundreds of thousands to the Club over the past 17 years are due nothing back in return for ceding their influence?

And what is Option B on the ballot?

ex_user1234

Resigned
I don't understand the comment 'the trust cannot move us any further forward'.

Currently we are in the midst of a global pandemic. The ultimate aim of most clubs at our level for the next X amount of years is simply to survive let alone move 'further forward' so that ship has sailed for the foreseeable.

Even before the pandemic we were competing at the top end of league 2 for some years in a row and whilst we have not reached league 1 yet, we can rest secure in the knowledge that the target of reaching league 1 is certainly attainable whilst we still retaining our current structure as a fan owned club.

To compete at the top end of league 1 and in the Championship and thus 'moving forward' takes either a lot of money or a lot of luck but usually both. It also takes a huge amount of risk and that risk is not worth the punt to ultimately end up back where we started anyway, as invariably most boom or bust clubs do.

We own a solvent, community focused, competitive, well respected football club that provides many fans with a purpose in their life and provides many fans with enjoyment. Isn't that enough?

This pandemic should have taught us to live in the here and now and enjoy the here and now and not worry about what is in the future. The future may disappoint.
Whilst I can respect this view, it is one ultimately based on fear. Of course no one is interested in boom and bust and of course no wants to take unnecessary risks, but you cannot just sit still or you go backwards in life. Run well by professionals in a sustainable, ethical and entrepreneurial way, Exeter City can be a Championship side within 10 years for the first time in its history.

Legohead

Banned
Whilst I can respect this view, it is one ultimately based on fear. Of course no one is interested in boom and bust and of course no wants to take unnecessary risks, but you cannot just sit still or you go backwards in life. Run well by professionals in a sustainable, ethical and entrepreneurial way, Exeter City can be a Championship side within 10 years for the first time in its history.
It's not based on fear. It's based on contentment and peace. There's a lot to be said for that I think. Although some mistakenly may call it lack of ambition.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Ok so if Option B has to pay £0, why would the majority shareholder sell?
The thousands of Trust members who have given hundreds of thousands to the Club over the past 17 years are due nothing back in return for ceding their influence?

And what is Option B on the ballot?
The majority shareholder would clearly only sell if it thought the future could be brighter for Exeter City with a new form of ownership. In terms of influence, I would argue strongly that the fans should be represented on any board. I have always been of the view that any owner of a football club is essentially a custodian on behalf of the fans. That's why I talk about the people of Exeter. They are Exeter City in my view.

ex_user1234

Resigned
It's not based on fear. It's based on contentment and peace. There's a lot to be said for that I think. Although some mistakenly may call it lack of ambition.
That's fine for your own personal view, but Exeter City exists in a competitive environment.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
edgallois is a WUM at this point.

Reactions: Ash

ex_user1234

Resigned
edgallois is a WUM at this point.
Is that so? Give Nick Hawker and Julian Tagg a call and see what they say. No, didn't think you would.

Legohead

Banned
That's fine for your own personal view, but Exeter City exists in a competitive environment.
It is being competitive though. It's a L2 club with 4500 fans who are consistently fighting for promotion to L1. I'd say that was being competitive.