• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think the only help the EFL might give is to cover some if not all of the testing costs for the clubs in L1/L2 that participate in the play offs if the rest of the league is stopped.

I guess they'll think wages will be covered by the money clubs would get by being on TV.
Clubs do not get any of the TV money from the playoff games (Rule 5.4). They get a facility fee determined by the EFL Board. I imagine in the circumstances this will cover costs but nothing more so as much as possible is retained for sharing out.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
How the University of Reading suggests the League 2 may have finished, wit the Devon Derby being hugely significant

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A little bit more information from Grimsby Town on the last week's decision.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A little bit more information from Grimsby Town on the last week's decision.

The last line is telling -

"I am sure that with goodwill on all sides we can get through this and ensure that there is still a Grimsby Town Football Club going forward”

implies that there is no certainty that GT will still exist next season.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Or the visuals of clubs taking furlough money from the tax payer, stopping when it suits them to play a few games them going back to taking tax payers money.
That's not an issue IMO - the furlough system allows for that exact scenario.

The ability to be brought off furlough after the minimum 3 weeks, do some work, and then be put back on furlough, is one thing that will help businesses to get through this.

Boyo

What happened to the idea of only needing a test if you were showing symptoms which in that case a player should be at home self isolating for seven days and not being part of a match day squad....from everything I’ve I heard and read over the last two or three weeks the chances of catching covid in an outdoor environment like a football pitch would be very very low from what the scientists are saying.
The chances of catching Covid whilst outside AND respecting social distancing rules, are low. However, social distancing goes out of the window for players during a match. Tests are therefore required to ensure a high level of confidence that players don't have Covid, before they play football.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Northampton chairman Kelvin Thomas confident playoffs will go ahead.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If the season was to restart in August, would you be happy to go to St James Park? I'm not convinced I would want to, not least because of using public transport to get there and back.

Boyo

If the season was to restart in August, would you be happy to go to St James Park? I'm not convinced I would want to, not least because of using public transport to get there and back.
August is three months away, so it's impossible to say. If the season started tomorrow, then there's no chance I would be attending.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Northampton chairman Kelvin Thomas confident playoffs will go ahead.

When the idea of still holding the play-offs was first suggested last week I thought it was a ridiculous idea that would obviously happen. Now I'm not so sure. The EFL clearly want the same conclusion across all 3 leagues and it's pretty clear that both the Championship and League 1 will want to have play-offs if at all possible. And according to Matt Slater of the Athletic, Sky are also keen for the games to go ahead, though I'm not sure how big an audience there will be for Exeter against Colchester if the Premier League are back and dominating the tv schedules.

My worry is that we are going to found ourselves forced into playing these games whether we want to or not and without receiving adequate compensation. Even if we do go up we could find ourselves at a massive disadvantage, both financially and in terms of not having enough time to prepare properly for next season.