• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Correct, Geoff. But the powers-that-be at Exeter City sadly think that the EFL are all-seeing purveyors of truth and wisdom. It's bizarre.
You are of course entitled to your view Ed, though would appreciate it if you didn't quote my post then use it to make a negative point about the club as it makes it seem that I share that negative view. I don't. The EFL are, for better or ( in this case) worse, the over arching authority in football league terms. I continue to support the club and the trust board in dealing with this brutally difficult situation where there really are no winners but a lot of losers.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Julian Tagg on the Club website

i8cornwall

Why ?
Port Vale might be willing to take the risk instead of City.
I wasn’t saying we should do it, just that it probably wouldn’t be allowed due to the integrity of the game and all that.

dontpassback

Would this actually be allowed? I’m sure we would face a huge fine if we did withdraw from the plays off’s.
It won’t be the first time the powers that be decide to fine ECFC,back in 1974 the football league walloped us with a 6k fine because we didn’t have enough fit players to play at scunthorpe I think,so move on a few years and the clowns running the EFL don’t appear to be any wiser than their incompetent Predecessors !!

i8cornwall

It won’t be the first time the powers that be decide to fine ECFC,back in 1974 the football league walloped us with a 6k fine because we didn’t have enough fit players to play at scunthorpe I think,so move on a few years and the clowns running the EFL don’t appear to be any wiser than their incompetent Predecessors !!
that was way before my time can’t comment really. The EFL are Pretty much incompetent.

Let’s be honest we will play the play off games if they go ahead and quite rightly.

JJ red&white

The reality is what is quoted as a decision is far from that. It was a vote of the League 2 clubs and was on the proviso of no relegation. It has to be ratified by the EFL and the FA. The question of promotion and relegation throughout the leagues up to and including the Premier League is unresolved. If Barrow have any money I'd be hiring a good lawyer.

That's without the practicalities of playing playoffs with Colchester. Where will the teams stay? Do they need 2 coaches to socially distance on the journey? Will all players feel safe to play? Who's paying for the testing and can we be assured its not taking tests away from the NHS or other key workers?

Or the visuals of clubs taking furlough money from the tax payer, stopping when it suits them to play a few games them going back to taking tax payers money.

Never underestimate football's ability to put naked self interest and money above anything else.
Part of the reason league two voted for no relegation is because it’s likely the national league may well accept this. People forget that Barrow will be coming up anyway (to replace Bury) and so the second promotion place would be the one that replaced Stevenage. Given the cost and logistics of getting 7 teams involved in the national league play offs, it seems doubtful that would happen. If the national league simply wanted to promote the team in second, they may well get legal challenges from the other six. By not relegating Stevenage, league two may well have stopped the national league from having a big headache with what to do. I guess the caveat is that the team currently second may not be particularly happy!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will the EFL be helping out with financing L2 clubs? How will they do so without rewarding those clubs for their mismanagement?

Oldsmobile-88

Will the EFL be helping out with financing L2 clubs? How will they do so without rewarding those clubs for their mismanagement?
I’m not sure they will help out...They have relied on the government/taxpayer so far to help their member clubs,so why would they.

I can’t see a scenario where the EFL will be doling wads of cash out to the many profligate clubs with multimillionaire owners.

simcity

Think the only help the EFL might give is to cover some if not all of the testing costs for the clubs in L1/L2 that participate in the play offs if the rest of the league is stopped.

I guess they'll think wages will be covered by the money clubs would get by being on TV.

Red Devon

What happened to the idea of only needing a test if you were showing symptoms which in that case a player should be at home self isolating for seven days and not being part of a match day squad....from everything I’ve I heard and read over the last two or three weeks the chances of catching covid in an outdoor environment like a football pitch would be very very low from what the scientists are saying.