• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Northampton chairman Kelvin Thomas confident playoffs will go ahead.

straight from the Cobblers school of wishful thinking. He says

- play offs need to be completed by 30 June and

- manager wants players to have two to three weeks training before playing any games

- there will be home and away legs and a final at a neutral venue ( so that means five different grounds being made safe for games)

- play offs normally take ten days. No, they often take nearly a fortnight ( weekend first leg , midweek second leg and final ten days later)Ten days might be feasible if played behind closed doors

So for this to work by 30 June then training would have to start very soon. Risk assessments and precautions implemented for five grounds including SJP. Players would have to be unfurloughed. And then furloughed again until next season can start, which in Leagues One and Two only makes sense when crowds can attend.

Oldsmobile-88

If the season was to restart in August, would you be happy to go to St James Park? I'm not convinced I would want to, not least because of using public transport to get there and back.
I would be happy to go to SJP.
I rarely use public transport these days(trains)
It’s more convenient to drive(away games)

Will coaches for away supporters be allowed to be run at near full capacity ?
It will be very expensive way to travel to games if they have to run at a third of capacity.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
straight from the Cobblers school of wishful thinking. He says

- play offs need to be completed by 30 June and

- manager wants players to have two to three weeks training before playing any games

- there will be home and away legs and a final at a neutral venue ( so that means five different grounds being made safe for games)

- play offs normally take ten days. No, they often take nearly a fortnight ( weekend first leg , midweek second leg and final ten days later)Ten days might be feasible if played behind closed doors

So for this to work by 30 June then training would have to start very soon. Risk assessments and precautions implemented for five grounds including SJP. Players would have to be unfurloughed. And then furloughed again until next season can start, which in Leagues One and Two only makes sense when crowds can attend.
Apparently the earliest group training can start is May 25th which would allow 3 weeks of 'pre-season' training and a week and a half to complete the play-offs before the contracts run out on the 30th June.

Colesman Ballz

I see no reason that any play off final shouldn't be played at another League 2 ground. The EFL does not need to go the expense of hiring out any large stadium, and it would help reduce costs, and keep cash "in the family". There is also no need to have to prepare or use FIVE stadia either. Simply use one of losing semi finalists grounds again for the final. If that causes any concerns about giving an advantage to the team that has already played there, simply have League 2 final played at a L1 semi final venue and vice versa.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently the earliest group training can start is May 25th which would allow 3 weeks of 'pre-season' training and a week and a half to complete the play-offs before the contracts run out on the 30th June.
Sorry for replying to my own post but it was only after posting that it hit me that May 25th is only 6 days away. Therefore, if this mad play-off plan is going to work one of three things will have to happen.
  1. The play-offs are scheduled before the end of June and in the next 6 days the EFL come up with a workable plan and the clubs involved test all their staff and take them off furlough.
  2. The play-offs are scheduled before the end of June but players have less than 3 weeks to prepare.
  3. The play-offs are scheduled after the end of June and all necessary contracts are extended.

nick_exmouth

I would go - train or car - doesn't really bother me

I would be happy to go to SJP.
I rarely use public transport these days(trains)
It’s more convenient to drive(away games)

Will coaches for away supporters be allowed to be run at near full capacity ?
It will be very expensive way to travel to games if they have to run at a third of capacity.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It seems that Peterborough's boss Darragh MacAnthony is threatening both EFL and L1 clubs if they don't complete the season. Could delay any movement towards play-offs in L2. L1 expected to meet again within the next 2 days.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems that Peterborough's boss Darragh MacAnthony is threatening both EFL and L1 clubs if they don't complete the season. Could delay any movement towards play-offs in L2. L1 expected to meet again within the next 2 days.
He’s been threatening legal action for a while; I’m no legal expert but I can’t see it being successful although, as you say, it will waste time and further delay any resolution to this season.
And the longer this all drags on for, the less time can be spent working out how the hell clubs are going to survive if there are no crowds in grounds before 2021.

Fareham Grecian

...the longer this all drags on for, the less time can be spent working out how the hell clubs are going to survive if there are no crowds in grounds before 2021.
This is a very good point. In some ways, how we finish the current season is less important than planning what happens longer term. I know we have to have a conclusion to 19/20, but it’s surely in every team’s interest that we just sort it quickly and move on.

Positive spin

This is a very good point. In some ways, how we finish the current season is less important than planning what happens longer term. I know we have to have a conclusion to 19/20, but it’s surely in every team’s interest that we just sort it quickly and move on.
Very true.
Sod worrying about promotion.
The aim should be just to have a club that survives and has a future.
Many may not.