• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Once again you miss the point, Ali.
What was the point and where is my post wrong ?

IndoMike

That might also strike a blow against Chinese criminality in this country too ! The Tongs have had the supply chain to Chinese restaurants tied up for years, there was a TV documentary on it some time ago. They have a company in (Manchester ?) which basically supplies the whole UK. The Authorities and Law Enforcement bodies seem to ignore it and don't want to get involved. "It's their self contained problem, and doesn't threaten the wider community" seems to be the manta.

Meanwhile I will have to hunt out my old "I'm backing Britain" badge and start wearing it again. Might even come across my old black and white CND badge at the same time ! Lol.
Love Chinese takeaway food. Chicken curry, beef curry, fried rice, chow mien et al. Fark the calories.

Colesman Ballz

I don't know Al, but it was nice to see where your priorities lay, "World WINE Panic", Hic !

Mr Jinx

Love Chinese takeaway food. Chicken curry, beef curry, fried rice, chow mien et al. Fark the calories.
You might have to curb your desire for sweet and sour pangolin however.

I don't know Al, but it was nice to see where your priorities lay, "World WINE Panic", Hic !

There was one round our way 2 weeks ago when Waitrose started running a bit bare on the grog front.

IndoMike

:rolleyes:
My point was that in many countries wildlife and farmed animals can be the source of diseases.
In the UK : Anthrax, avian flu, bovine tuberculosis, salmonella, cat scratch fever, cowpox, hepatitis E, lime disease, listeriosis and many more.
Fortunately , as far as I know , none of these is contagious. But what if one of them did become contagious?
I have already given my opinion about China above and agreed that their bureaucracy and rigidity slowed down the process of dealing with the problem.
I have no connection with China at all and no reason to defend it : I'm just trying
to be objective and am not going to jump on the Alf Garnett bandwagon of China-bashing. I'm sure they didn't deliberately spread the virus and they didn't realise that one farking bat
would bring the world to its knees.
Debbeners live in a world where the rats of the sky, which distribute cr2p all over the place, are protected. Some countries would think that was disgusting, too.
So yes, China has to clean up its act bloody fast and stop covering things up, but the horse has already bolted. Don' t think another highly contagious disease
emanating from an animal source won't happen again. It will.

IndoMike

Ali has cider panic..

Legohead

Banned
Yes. It will because humans treat them like shit and keep them in shit conditions. Sort this and it reduces risk. China won't though will they? Neither will a lot of other countries who think they own the planet. That's why it will happen again. Because a lot of humans are selfish idiots.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Situations like this bring out the best and the worst in people and unfortunately the worst often includes a large helping of unconfined greed. A neighbour of mine has just had his oil delivery (we don't have gas out in the Somerset boondocks) that he was desperate for having basically run out. Delivery driver told him he had just delivered to some people who had phoned in to say it was an emergency and they were desperate for more fuel. They have a 2,000L oil tank and when the chap got there all he could squeeze into the tank was a meagre 200 litres!! Selfish doesn't come close.
So you've just out about the human condition.

Spoonz Red E

The Tongs have had the supply chain to Chinese restaurants tied up for years
They also have a role in the supply of roast potatoes at carveries.

elginCity

Those have not caused world wine panic, deaths and damage to compare with Covid-19 though and these viruses nearly always seem to originate in China. It did not happen here; it happened in China.
Yes Al, you join Trump and Farage who also like to point the finger; the 'Chinese virus', but never acknowledge their own nation's failures to 'take control of borders'.

US intelligence flagged up the Covid19 threat way back in November (UK would have been privy).

"It’s not surprising to me that the intelligence community detected the outbreak; what is surprising and disappointing is that the White House ignored the clear warning signs, failed to follow established pandemic response protocols and were slow to put in place a government-wide effort to respond to this crisis."