• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

CityTillIDie

3rd time lucky or what??:sneaky:

Legohead

Banned
very sad to see this, don’t know why leaving the banner there every night, day, was a good idea.

Yes, I was under the assumption that all related paraphernalia was removed after games. Incorrectly so it transpires.

i8cornwall

I’ve really enjoyed reading all of that.

Still proves after almost four years none of you have an actual clue on how myself or the rest of the RL operated.

Clearly none of you took any time to speak to myself or any of us in the four years we operated as group at SJP as clearly it’s easier to take pot shots at us via exeweb.

If anyone has worked out who I am by now you’ll full understand that if you poked the RL bee hive you got what you deserved, ask Mr Grant or Wheeler two gentlemen who ****** us off.

Personally I spent countless hours in meetings with the club and trust, post MK Dons being a very stressful time for me and the group with no thanks or reward in return, but we did it for the love of the club quietly carrying on. Sadly the the only player to actually address us s a group on camera was Jonny Maxted, a player who had been with us a matter of months. Sadly this speaks volumes of our treatment at times.

Personally I suffered and still do from mental health issues during the 4 years we where together and the RL was a sort of help, I could be one of the lads, a bloke with a flag or a ultra/hardcore supporter.

We might have been a “problem” at times and quite frankly we knew we where but our love of our club and the family we created has and never will change.

Now anyone is welcome to start a new group but I’m sure in true exeweb style you’ll all do nothing.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm surprised that the Legion is disbanding, although I can understand why they're so p*ssed off.
it reminds me of the Life of Brian "Big nose" scene at the Sermon on the Mount, with the Legion lads hitting out at the wrong target.
Anyway, it seems a bit drastic to me and I implore the Legion to think again : I'm sure that most fans and the players really appreciate what the Legion does even though a few might have criticized them in the past.
C'mon lads! Don't let a few punks from Essex spoil the fun. !

CityTillIDie

Still proves after almost four years none of you have an actual clue on how myself or the rest of the RL operated.

Clearly none of you took any time to speak to myself or any of us in the four years we operated as group at SJP as clearly it’s easier to take pot shots at us via exeweb.

If anyone has worked out who I am by now you’ll full understand that if you poked the RL bee hive you got what you deserved, ask Mr Grant or Wheeler two gentlemen who ****** us off.

Personally I spent countless hours in meetings with the club and trust, post MK Dons being a very stressful time for me and the group with no thanks or reward in return, but we did it for the love of the club quietly carrying on. Sadly the the only player to actually address us s a group on camera was Jonny Maxted, a player who had been with us a matter of months. Sadly this speaks volumes of our treatment at times.

Personally I suffered and still do from mental health issues during the 4 years we where together and the RL was a sort of help, I could be one of the lads, a bloke with a flag or a ultra/hardcore supporter.

We might have been a “problem” at times and quite frankly we knew we where but our love of our club and the family we created has and never will change.

Now anyone is welcome to start a new group but I’m sure in true exeweb style you’ll all do nothing.
You’ve got to appreciate that a lot of fans who didn’t stand with you very much appreciated you, even in other stands. Your work was appreciated so much, going on exeweb won’t have put across the appreciation trust me.

Legohead

Banned

Passionate post i8cornwall. Brave to also mention mental health battles which I too have had my fair share of. You do what you need to do and ignore critics because they always want others to do things for them because they can't be arsed to do them for themselves.

Grecian Max

very sad to see this, don’t know why leaving the banner there every night, day, was a good idea.
Couldn’t put it up and down each game because of the structure - ideally you’d have a smaller stand with a fence for flags in front that youd hang it up and put it away after but it’s how the big bank is. Needed to be in that section where the singers are. Was a risk... survived 4 and half years until someone clocked on!

Redarrow

So going back to an earlier question...how many flags did the red legion steal??? If this is what ultras do to dissolve a passionate fan group and to show the upper hand is this what you guys would have maybe done in the past??

Red Devon

He's explained that the reasoning behind the decision is about 'unwritten rules' amongst football ultras that need to be honoured and not about how hard or not they may or may not be.
This thread is like an episode of Charmed only not as pretty.

Grecian Max

Passionate post i8cornwall. Brave to also mention mental health battles which I too have had my fair share of. You do what you need to do and ignore critics because they always want others to do things for them because they can't be arsed to do them for themselves.
He’s a top bloke, as are all the lads that have been involved on and off over the years.

The planning and prep for displays can be long and arduous and sometimes they don’t turn out as you wanted, which then of course is received by smart arses on twitter and elsewhere giving their expert opinions. We had to bounce back from losing some really key people - this happens as people get older, time gets eaten up by new families, work, moving elsewhere etc. Probably fair to say in the last 18 months we’ve not been at our best and perhaps earlier on we’d have been more switched onto Colchester trying something like this. We’d hidden it v Lincoln for instance, after their group tried taking the drum up at theirs (and failing

I remember starting the siege army years ago and the amount of codswallop you get called and chucked at is insane considering the only reason it existed was to improve the vibe on a match day. Now that this has happened I probably feel free to say as much.

If you look through all the photos of our efforts there’s some impressive stuff in there for a club who average around 4k most years. Some of the scenes I’ve seen on the Bank whilst being led by RL have been superb. Carlisle at home was unreal that’s correct, it was led - the Bank has never been as good as RL at their peak, that is a fact. People talk about the Cowshed, I was lucky enough to stand in there as a youngster - it was great but had a lot going for it - the ability to go next to the away fans and a corrugated roof that rattled with noise. When the redevelopment happened the atmosphere was really effected and bar the odd game when it was packed it was never consistently noisy on your standard division 4/conf game against Mansfield or whoever.

Going forward there might be a new group with a new name... who knows. RL has been around for almost 5 years which means a 12/13 year old when it began now has in ingrained in them at 18 that newer supporter culture (the one that is divisive but is becoming more and more normalised over here)

I note that club still heavily use imagery related to the legion, it’s because it’s visually compelling - I remember walking into one game where we’d hand painted 20+ 2 sticks plus loads of flags - the place was bouncing and looked like scenes I’d seen on my travels in Italy, Germany, Switzerland. That made me proud because we’re a fan owned club and we were allowed to stand out from the crowd.

RL aren’t the be all and end all to ECFC support. Despite people wanting to label us wannabe superfans it was never like that, we weren’t in it for supporter of the year trophies or interviews on YouTube... we just wanted the park to buzz. ECFCs support is varied and will crack on without it I’m sure but in my mind we did provide some good moments to our football club. I’m absolutely gutted after all the hard work and it was a tough but necessary decision, based on principles whether you understand or not.