• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Someone on "Our Side" must have agreed them, Whether it was in May's tenure or Johnson's. For the record the transition period is a sensible way to do things otherwise chaos could happen, Surely the terms are somewhere open for scrutiny?

IndoMike

I have no issue with the transition period, but it is important that it is caveated with a moratorium on policies directly impacting the absentee UK. As I say, I don't know if this moratorium exists.
(I'm not nit-picking or being a grammar bully but I think "caveat" is a noun, not a verb). I often say to my missus when I speak Indonesian : if you don't correct me I'll keep making the same mistake.

Alistair20000

(I'm not nit-picking or being a grammar bully but I think "caveat" is a noun, not a verb). I often say to my missus when I speak Indonesian : if you don't correct me I'll keep making the same mistake.

I think it looks wrong but the linky thing suggests Jason might have a point.

Just saying like

IndoMike

I think it looks wrong but the linky thing suggests Jason might have a point.

Just saying like
You're free to say, Alistair. But according to the OED and Cambridge D it's a noun only.
I read somewhere that Alexander Haig used it once and t might have caught on.
The fact that when you say it it sounds ugly is often a good sign.
Anyway, if Jason wants to use it it's up to him. Languages do evolve
Further proof is required.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Use of caveat as a verb addressed also here:

So there.

arthur

As an American once observed "there ain't no noun that can't be verbed"

IndoMike

As an American once observed "there ain't no noun that can't be verbed"
I like that. Amusing quote

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jess Phillips has quit the race to be Labour leader.

Legohead

Banned
No Labour vote from me then. Can't vote for Starmer or Long-Bailey i'm afraid. Another Labour balls up.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No Labour vote from me then. Can't vote for Starmer or Long-Bailey i'm afraid. Another Labour balls up.
You may have said about this before (in which case I apologise for making you repeat yourself), but why not Starmer? Wrong-Daily I can understand - but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you'd vote for Labour under Phillips but not Starmer? All I can see about Phillips is that she's really shouty.