• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
IMF predicts that the U.K. economy in the first two years after Brexit will grow quicker than The Eurozone. Weird. :)
I wouldn't put too much trust in the IMF, Tavers. It was roundly slammed for its disastrous intervention in the Asian crash in 1998. Just made everything worse. I know : I was here.

IndoMike

Jeez. That will be hard signing the forms to become a member of the Labour Party 🙄
Welcome, Lord Bercow. Miss your humourous interventions. The new guy is a boring fart

IndoMike

Rice pudding

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, how dare the speaker actually do what he is there to do i.e. facilitate debate, not BE the debate.

Hoyle is a top bloke off the field too, by all accounts.

elginCity

Its funny how quickly Business adapts to a democratically arrived at political reality. :)

Plenty of UK firms are also opening a branch in the EU, Dublin mainly. Mitigates the loss of access to the larger market, and they’re doing the same in a much smaller market.

Making the very best of a lose lose scenario, with the for’ners still coming here. Bong.

DB9

Merely highlighting Bitts, that the economic Armageddon predicted by many a miserablist Remoaner, might be (big surprise!) a complete load of robblocks.
For what it's worth I think now business has clarity they can adjust to the new rules/regulations. It will be difficult for some there is no doubt but I feel the last three and a half years of uncertainty did more damage to business confidence than anything else, All they wanted to know was when the actual date of leaving, They know now and can plan for it. The two false starts and constant impasse of the HOC must have been a stone round their neck. Whatever happens from now on business not politicians will be the people who will make a success or not of Brexit and those in charge should listen to them

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth I think now business has clarity they can adjust to the new rules/regulations. It will be difficult for some there is no doubt but I feel the last three and a half years of uncertainty did more damage to business confidence than anything else, All they wanted to know was when the actual date of leaving, They know now and can plan for it. The two false starts and constant impasse of the HOC must have been a stone round their neck. Whatever happens from now on business not politicians will be the people who will make a success or not of Brexit and those in charge should listen to them
Certainly true - I think what Tavy was in particular alluding to was the Armageddon situation painted during the referendum campaign, which at one point said a vote to leave (not actually leaving - a vote to leave - although it was presumed A50 would be triggered on June 24th) would lead to a shrinking of the economy of around 8%. Not reduced growth, a shrinking. Now even the doomsday scenarios which relied on very flawed metrics suggested growth (albeit weaker than their predictions should we have revoked). These latest predictions from the IMF - and I agree with Mike (shock horror) that these should be heavily caveated - show us not only still growing, but outperforming the Eurozone. The UK has remained extremely fertile ground for inward investment hashtag despitebrexit.

We're now a lot clearer about the direction of travel, hopefully this would mitigate any negative impact in the short to medium term.

DB9

Certainly true - I think what Tavy was in particular alluding to was the Armageddon situation painted during the referendum campaign, which at one point said a vote to leave (not actually leaving - a vote to leave - although it was presumed A50 would be triggered on June 24th) would lead to a shrinking of the economy of around 8%. Not reduced growth, a shrinking. Now even the doomsday scenarios which relied on very flawed metrics suggested growth (albeit weaker than their predictions should we have revoked). These latest predictions from the IMF - and I agree with Mike (shock horror) that these should be heavily caveated - show us not only still growing, but outperforming the Eurozone. The UK has remained extremely fertile ground for inward investment hashtag despitebrexit.

We're now a lot clearer about the direction of travel, hopefully this would mitigate any negative impact in the short to medium term.
I'm hoping so too. I must admit I'm nervous about Brexit, We've gone through nearly a decade of austerity that really impacted on my family and I don't think I can take more of it because of "Whims" of well off people who wouldn't be impacted if things go tits up, That is why I listen more to business people than politicians because they're on the front line in all this

IndoMike

Yes, how dare the speaker actually do what he is there to do i.e. facilitate debate, not BE the debate.

Hoyle is a top bloke off the field too, by all accounts.
Yes, unlike many of your Tory ministers over the last 10 years. How dare many of them not have resigned, starting with Grayling, of course..

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, the old non-sequitur finger jab. And it's only Tuesday.