• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimsby Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

les.gtfc

Well, for once it wasn't our keeper who was the star of the match but yours. I think we definitely deserved to get something from the game yesterday but your keeper made 2 or 3 brilliant saves, including that flying late one that was arrowing into the top corner plus we hit the frame of the goal twice and when we did beat your keeper one of your players was there to head it off the line.

Rather unusually after a home defeat though, I came away from the ground rather positive because if we play like that every week, we'll win more than we lose. We've still got your green chums to play twice this season so we'll try and get a couple of results there.

Good luck for the rest of the season, might not see you again next season, but hopefully the season after. Good turn out of your fans by the way who were excellent throughout.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice one Les. Good luck for the rest of the season to you too...and make sure you eat up all those greens! (y)

STURTZ

Well, for once it wasn't our keeper who was the star of the match but yours. I think we definitely deserved to get something from the game yesterday but your keeper made 2 or 3 brilliant saves, including that flying late one that was arrowing into the top corner plus we hit the frame of the goal twice and when we did beat your keeper one of your players was there to head it off the line.

Rather unusually after a home defeat though, I came away from the ground rather positive because if we play like that every week, we'll win more than we lose. We've still got your green chums to play twice this season so we'll try and get a couple of wins.
Well our keeper and defenders are members of our team you know and so many of our wins have been built on our solid defence, the bedrock of our successful (so far) season.
Appreciate we had a certain amount of luck but anyone who has witnessed matches between the two teams over the years would agree that we deserved a bit of that for once!
Cheerio Les and sincerely hope you win every game between now and the end of the season!:)

Ian Tarr

Cheerio Les and sincerely hope you win every game between now and the end of the season!:)
Steady on, STURTZ. Do we really want Grimsby to get 90 points?

IndoMike

Really liked Matt Taylor's post-match interview:
- He was loving the fact that the defence put their bodies on the line.
- He was honest about our weaknesses in the match and that Grimsby were unlucky
- He gave us a brief, clear analysis of the game
- He remembered to mention the fans and their long trip to watch the game

Good stuff, Matt. Very impressed with him and full marks to the club for trusting in him.👍👍👍

IndoMike

Rather unusually after a home defeat though, I came away from the ground rather positive because if we play like that every week, we'll win more than we lose. We've still got your green chums to play twice this season so we'll try and get a couple of results there.

Good luck for the rest of the season, might not see you again next season, but hopefully the season after. Good turn out of your fans by the way who were excellent throughout.
Even when we're not at our best we're hard to beat, Les. And it was pay-back time after we were all over you at SJP
But looks like the fans are getting behind Holloway and he's brought in a few seemingly useful signings, so you should be ok

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Great feeling coming away from the game - as I've said on my FB and to a couple of people on Saturday we just seem to know how to win at the moment - awful last week until we scored against Cambridge, very evenly matched on Saturday. Both sides had a number of chances only to be denied by good defending, keeping and the woodwork (I really thought their striker would tap home in the first half after they hit the post but when your legs are as long as Aaron Martin's nothing's guaranteed!). We scored just when we were having a sustained spell of pressure and should, of course, have scored another when Randall chipped just wide when 1-on-1. At the other end Maxted looks unbeatable at the moment, I celebrated that late save almost like I would a goal.

Grimsby looked a good side albeit possibly lacking confidence in front of goal - a couple of goals in their next match and they'll start to fly.

A neutral at the match would probably have come away thinking they got their money's worth - and may be worth a few on the gate to Grimsby after their promotional work for this match.

We REALLY need to incorporate the line from "Vindaloo" into a chant - "We're gonna score one more than you....CITY".

Oh, we won in the end so it doesn't really matter, but I'm not sure where they got that ref and lino from. Needless to say I'm not in any hurry to see them in action again. When a player dives on the ball and wraps his arms around it in the box, you'd *usually* suggest it's handball (for example).

Legohead

Banned
According to Grimsby's The New Fishy Forum, it seems that they probably didn't print enough to cater for the 6000 crowd.
I rang Grimsby Town this morning and they had some spare so paid for one to be delivered which was fantastic. I always get a programme from every game I go to. Not so much for the content but more as a sort of physical token / memento of that particular game. It's sort of like a collectors obsession thing. I guess i'm now in a minority and people who buy programmes are a dying breed.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Oldsmobile-88

I always get a programme from every game I go to. Not so much for the content but more as a sort of physical token / memento It's sort of like a collectors obsession thing. I guess i'm now in a minority and people who buy programmes are a dying breed.
I get programmes for away games only..More for a physical record of the games.Just flick though them generally,most articles about away teams are generic.
A £1.50 version with the season so far scores,team notes plus a bit of trivia would satisfy most of us.
Really no need for the £3 glossy cover magazine type with really little content,that is churned out by most clubs these days.