• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimsby Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Awww...just love it Ron :love:
(Now watch Colchester and Port Vale both get double figures against us - still, at least it would keep dear old Pate happy, analysing all of those keeping howlers)

Legohead

Banned
I get programmes for away games only..More for a physical record of the games.Just flick though them generally,most articles about away teams are generic.
A £1.50 version with the season so far scores,team notes plus a bit of trivia would satisfy most of us.
Really no need for the £3 glossy cover magazine type with really little content,that is churned out by most clubs these days.

I went to Matlock v Scarborough in the evo stik league not long ago and thought i'd buy a programme and it was just like somebody had printed it out at home on their printer. :ROFLMAO: It had about 8 pages in it mostly full of adverts for local businesses. Was 2 quid as well!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I went to Matlock v Scarborough in the evo stik league not long ago and thought i'd buy a programme and it was just like somebody had printed it out at home on their printer. :ROFLMAO: It had about 8 pages in it mostly full of adverts for local businesses. Was 2 quid as well!
That is taking the pi55..😎..Surprised these days about how many spectators still like to get their hands on a programme.
I would imagine the age demographic is 30+ for buying them.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking on Saturday (when some of our lot also moaned about the lack of programmes) of the "programme" for our FA Trophy match at Grays in 04/05, sounds quite similar to this plus had the added bonus of being written by someone who was clearly illiterate. It was easier to find the words that didn't have a spelling error.

les.gtfc

I rang Grimsby Town this morning and they had some spare so paid for one to be delivered which was fantastic. I always get a programme from every game I go to. Not so much for the content but more as a sort of physical token / memento of that particular game. It's sort of like a collectors obsession thing. I guess i'm now in a minority and people who buy programmes are a dying breed.
You should have asked me and you could have had mine for nowt!

Legohead

Banned
That is taking the pi55..😎..Surprised these days about how many spectators still like to get their hands on a programme.
I would imagine the age demographic is 30+ for buying them.
I'm into my forties now and started buying them 25 years or so ago when I first started going to games so it's got a bit of a habit. I suppose in the 80's and 90's there wasn't the internet so most info was local papers or a programme. Or God forbid that atrocious clubcall premium rate phone line.

I would hazard a guess that like you say, most people that buy them would be 30 plus and maybe have always bought one and are creatures of habit rather than actually enjoying any content that's in them. I'd also suggest that barely any of the younger fans would buy them as they get everything through social media etc and they would probably see no point in buying one.

I still hope that they are kept on being produced though as they are part of football culture although a declining part.

Legohead

Banned
You should have asked me and you could have had mine for nowt!
o_O

Cheers anyway Les.

les.gtfc

I'm into my forties now and started buying them 25 years or so ago when I first started going to games so it's got a bit of a habit. I suppose in the 80's and 90's there wasn't the internet so most info was local papers or a programme. Or God forbid that atrocious clubcall premium rate phone line.
That's a blast from the past. I remember those bloody 0898 numbers, were a right rip-off but back then that was one of the few ways of getting up to date info on your club.

exeter-loyal

Well, for once it wasn't our keeper who was the star of the match but yours. I think we definitely deserved to get something from the game yesterday but your keeper made 2 or 3 brilliant saves, including that flying late one that was arrowing into the top corner plus we hit the frame of the goal twice and when we did beat your keeper one of your players was there to head it off the line.

Rather unusually after a home defeat though, I came away from the ground rather positive because if we play like that every week, we'll win more than we lose. We've still got your green chums to play twice this season so we'll try and get a couple of results there.

Good luck for the rest of the season, might not see you again next season, but hopefully the season after. Good turn out of your fans by the way who were excellent throughout.
Fair comments, let's hope you do the scum twice an all.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

les.gtfc

Fair comments, let's hope you do the scum twice an all.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
As has been mentioned though, it was definitely a bit of payback from that game last season when we absolutely stole 3 points from SJP. We've definitely had the rub of the green in recent games between us so a bit of payback was overdue.