• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Bittners a Legend

Out of genuine curiosity what are people's main objections to an "EU army"/joint European defence force? Given that this would be in addition to our own sovereign army I'm not sure that I necessarily completely understand the angst with regard to it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Out of genuine curiosity what are people's main objections to an "EU army"/joint European defence force? Given that this would be in addition to our own sovereign army I'm not sure that I necessarily completely understand the angst with regard to it.
Aside from the question of why a trading bloc needs an army, we've got NATO. Any more is overkill. There are obviously more nuanced arguments than this.

Anyway, are we in danger in this particular sub-strand of drifting away from the subject of the thread?

Bittners a Legend

Aside from the question of why a trading bloc needs an army, we've got NATO. Any more is overkill. There are obviously more nuanced arguments than this.

Anyway, are we in danger in this particular sub-strand of drifting away from the subject of the thread?
I did think I might get in trouble with you for that but in my defence I didn't bring it up originally...! Feel free to move if you think appropriate.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I observe that General Grevious is standing as an Independent trying to overturn his own majority in ultra Tory Beaconsfield. Standing on a Unite To Remain ticket. Now I thought he told us he was not out to thwart Brexit but to deliver it in an acceptable (to him) format.

Was he telling whoppers ?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I haven't "gone quiet" on the issue of the intelligence report, I explained the government's position on why it wasn't released several pages back when the discussion last came up. It can't now be released as we're in the election purdah period.
Nonsense. Admittedly, purdah guidelines aren't black and white but the suppression of reports such as this one is absolutely not what they're about. Rather, they're intended to mitigate against civil service announcements being hijacked for party political purposes in the run-up to an election. If you maintain otherwise, please feel free to point me in the direction of any guidance suggesting an intelligence report should be withheld because we're in purdah.

Notwithstanding that, there was ample time to publish this report before the purdah period began.

IndoMike

We were both right.
Albania were in the Warsaw Pact until 1962 when it was expelled after falling out with the Soviet Union.
The country then became closely aligned to Communist China.
Although the Soviet Union & Maos China were ideologically similar they were fairly hostile to each other.
Albania needed a superpower to ‘cuddle up to’ to survive on aid.
Takes some d
Nonsense. Admittedly, purdah guidelines aren't black and white but the suppression of reports such as this one is absolutely not what they're about. Rather, they're intended to mitigate against civil service announcements being hijacked for party political purposes in the run-up to an election. If you maintain otherwise, please feel free to point me in the direction of any guidance suggesting an intelligence report should be withheld because we're in purdah.

Notwithstanding that, there was ample time to publish this report before the purdah period began.
The usual bland reply from our resident Tory cheerleader. You are right in what you say and anyone who believes it is anything other than political expediency (and protection) is only fooling himself.
Yet again Jason finds it impossible to accept the truth and thinks we're all stupid enough to go along with his fairy story.
The public has a right to know NOW if there was any interference with BREXIT campaigning or voting.process.
What are you afraid of, Jason? If there's nothing there why not publish the report.
And no "purdah" bs : that's already been
discounted in many quarters.

elginCity

I observe that General Grevious is standing as an Independent trying to overturn his own majority in ultra Tory Beaconsfield. Standing on a Unite To Remain ticket. Now I thought he told us he was not out to thwart Brexit but to deliver it in an acceptable (to him) format.

Was he telling whoppers ?
A liar tells lies, Grieve is anything but.

Like Ken Clarke, he’s always been pro-European, and like Clarke he had to toe the party line on occasion and vote against his better judgement.

Whoppers ? The charlatan who kicked him out is renowned for them !

Alistair20000

A liar tells lies, Grieve is anything but.

Like Ken Clarke, he’s always been pro-European, and like Clarke he had to toe the party line on occasion and vote against his better judgement.

Whoppers ? The charlatan who kicked him out is renowned for them !
So Grieve was lying like all politicians.

elginCity

So Grieve was lying like all politicians.
You claim all MPs tell whoppers, yet highlight Grieve for some reason.

He did help to thwart a no-deal Brexit, granted. Good lad !

Alistair20000

You claim all MPs tell whoppers, yet highlight Grieve for some reason.

He did help to thwart a no-deal Brexit, granted. Good lad !
Yep. They are all lying toads with some worse than others.

Devious Grevious was plotting to thwart Brexit altogether while pretending otherwise. With all good fortune the voters of Beaconsfield will give him his marching orders.