• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs MK D*ns build up thread

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harley when he was in form at his peak was one of my favourite players of all time, watching him run a midfield was a truly beautiful thing, close to legendary status in my book.
This, every time. There were moments when his ability to read the game was almost mystical. Combine that with wonderful balance and an unerring ability to make a pass to open a defence and you have a player who looked way above the level he was playing at. While I acknowledge there were many times he could be frustrating and seem lazy, he is still in my book the most graceful footballer I have watched playing for us.

malcolms

MK undoubtedly have some high quality players and Tisdale will have briefed them well on our strengths and weaknesses. We definitely have the ability to get the 3 points though. The players will be up for this, they know how much it means.

Hope Tisdale, Harley and Wheeler all get a great reception. Can't fault the years of service they gave us. Whether you agreed with Tisdale or not, he undoubtedly had passion for the club and really did care about its long term progression on and off the field. Wheeler and JMT were both fantastic and rightly have taken their opportunity to financially better themselves - it's a short career in football so you can't blame them for wanting to make the most of their talents while they can. Harley when he was in form at his peak was one of my favourite players of all time, watching him run a midfield was a truly beautiful thing, close to legendary status in my book. Hope they all get a rousing reception but dont take any points away with them!
You don't think that giving them a "rousing reception" or the "warm applause" suggested by others on this thread might mean the points are less likely to stay with us?...SJP less a fortress more a wigwam...

Last edited:

STURTZ

Harley, he's in my best team of all time (well the last 50 years anyway.) I think I remember every single goal he scored. Who remembers his headed goal?

Last edited:

geoffwp

Like you Sturtz, I think I remember them all.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harley, he's in my best team of all time (well the last 50 years anyway.) I think I remember every single goal he scored. Who remembers his headed goal?
Vividly. His great moments have been great, and no fair-minded supporter would deny his talent.

But IMO there have been too few of them, and it seems like every great goal has been countered by a goal given away through poor passes or dwelling on the ball and getting d*cked by opponents. And he tended to "disappear" far too often.

He has of course had injuries: only averaged 20 league games a season over 14 years. 291 league appearances, 206 of them for us. Similarly almost all his goals have been for us.

A genuine enigma, to me.

Last edited:

Red Monster

You don't think that giving them a "rousing reception" or the "warm applause" suggested by others on this thread might mean the points are less likely to stay with us?...SJP less a fortress more a wigwam...
No not really what ever reception PT and Co gets once the whistle blows we will all be behind City.

geoffwp

According to you a few pages back, city never have responded well to crowd pressure. So warm welcome or hostile it shouldn't make any difference should it?

malcolms

According to you a few pages back, city never have responded well to crowd pressure. So warm welcome or hostile it shouldn't make any difference should it?
I think you'll find that that the reference was to City under the management of PT...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think they should have a hostile reception, get masses of stick throughout the match and then they can have warm applause afterwards. No nostalgia or sentiment should be allowed them until the game is over.

geoffwp

I think you'll find that that the reference was to City under the management of PT...
Can't see how the manager effects that quite frankly. Either players respond to a crowd or don't regardless of who might be standing in the technical area.