• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

BerksBee

Fella, you're being bankrolled by a millionaire!
I've decided that whatever I say isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to anyone on here so I concede defeat. If you all want to keep pointing to the fact that it's because we have a wealthy owner and ignore everything else, that's entirely your prerogative to do so.

The reality however is somewhat different to what you choose to 'want' to believe.

Throwing tons of money into a football Club is no guarantee of success. The Championship is littered with wealthy clubs with wealthy owners who cannot get out of the championship and some (Sunderland) who can't even stay there. Aston Villa were weeks away from administration before they were taken over. A club the size of Aston Villa?

If you think an investment (actually mostly a series of loans that will need to be paid back at some point) of £100m (over 5 years!) allows you to complete at Championship level, you're gravely mistaken, because compared to the wealth of many of the other Championship clubs it's peanuts.

I don't think many of you truly understand what it takes to be competitive in the Championship, because if you did, you wouldn't keep coming out with these daft comments.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
For what it's worth, i like what i see of Brentford and it seemed like the perfect fit for someone like Ollie to go to rather than chase some easy money and then disappear into the background of a bloated squad before resurfacing on loan at Walsall, or some such other club.

ExeterCityLad

I've decided that whatever I say isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to anyone on here so I concede defeat. If you all want to keep pointing to the fact that it's because we have a wealthy owner and ignore everything else, that's entirely your prerogative to do so.

The reality however is somewhat different to what you choose to 'want' to believe.

Throwing tons of money into a football Club is no guarantee of success. The Championship is littered with wealthy clubs with wealthy owners who cannot get out of the championship and some (Sunderland) who can't even stay there. Aston Villa were weeks away from administration before they were taken over. A club the size of Aston Villa?

If you think an investment (actually mostly a series of loans that will need to be paid back at some point) of £100m (over 5 years!) allows you to complete at Championship level, you're gravely mistaken, because compared to the wealth of many of the other Championship clubs it's peanuts.

I don't think many of you truly understand what it takes to be competitive in the Championship, because if you did, you wouldn't keep coming out with these daft comments.
You're doing what nearly every other club does in lower league football - Buying players cheap / for free and making profit out of the good ones. It's literally what 90% of clubs do.

You're just in a higher league, and are being bank rolled by a millionaire so your margins are just larger.

You've made a fair chunk on players sells, congratulations. You're still making a loss each year to the tune of millions - You're nothing knew or unique, bloody hell. Drop it. I don't come on this forum to see some Brentford lad think he's got the perfect model for football and you're something special. This thread is about Ollie Watkins - Keep it that way.

Grecian2K

Oi BerksBee.

Don't you realise that 114 (or slightly more?) years of never getting closer to tier two than eight in the level below (or, once, many years ago) second in tier two south) makes some of us eminently qualified to understand competitiveness in the Championship! ;)

After all, unlike you, we have spent several years in the PREMIER LEAGUE so we know what we are talking about.
OK - it was the Blue Square variety but, tell me, have you Bees ever aspired to success at that lofty level?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you are quite right, regrettably success in football is dependent on money, but not just throwing it about trying to buy success, but careful investment and management of it. We wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for the success of our Academy in producing youngsters, and then the proceeds being wisely reinvested back into the infrastructure of the club. These days however this will only get us so far and hopefully after getting so close over the past two seasons we will achieve promotion this season. Without further investment or sources of investment (a benefactor) it will be difficult to progress any further, but not impossible.

When you were promoted from league two many years ago we were the runners up, we lasted a couple of seasons in league one and then drifted back down into an abyss without any investment. You on the other hand have progressed, with your backer and a realisation that with where you are based west London, competition for the bright young things was too intense so gave up your academy and looked to snap up the bargains of the lower divisions and cast offs from the premiership which is working for you. We on the other hand have had to plough on with our academy to produce little gems like Ollie to survive and rebuild. So as we become more financially stable it will be interesting to see how us, little old Exeter do progress and whether we are able to ultimately establish ourselves as a league one club, with all the extra expense that it will bring and whether we can hold onto our gems and not have to sell, in order to push for a promotion to the championship, or because of lack of cash we drift again. Time will tell

tavyred

Oi BerksBee.

Don't you realise that 114 (or slightly more?) years of never getting closer to tier two than eight in the level below (or, once, many years ago) second in tier two south) makes some of us eminently qualified to understand competitiveness in the Championship! ;)

After all, unlike you, we have spent several years in the PREMIER LEAGUE so we know what we are talking about.
OK - it was the Blue Square variety but, tell me, have you Bees ever aspired to success at that lofty level?
That's a pretty irrelevant point you've made there.
The economics of football are fairly easy to understand and don't rely on the history of the club you happen to support.
If you don't think that that the input of millions of pounds by a rich benefactor has had little or no effect on the ongoing success of Brentford then you're as deluded as our friend from Berkshire.

Last edited:

LOG

On TV tonight against Villa.

LOG

Nice little knock down to set up Brentford’s first.

Their away kit is, er, unusual.

manc grecian

Play some nice stuff Brentford. Like an Aldi version of city

Pete Martin (CTID)

Play some nice stuff Brentford. Like an Aldi version of city
Only a Lidl bit though.....