• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rude Jobsworth

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Imagine how birds must feel with all this birdwatching going on...
Tell me about it.

On the subject of overzealous stewarding, a few home games ago I was standing at the front of the Flybe just resting my tea on the barrier whilst I juggled my programme, change, this and that when I was told to move on by a steward who claimed standing there was obstructing the walkway. I looked up suspecting he was just joking but he was deadly serious. On further inspection, there were loads of other people also leaning against the barrier watching the players warm up as people have done every game I've ever been to since the new stand was built. I have no idea if he asked them to move on but certainly didn't see him do so. Since there was about two metres completely clear behind me and people milling about in both directions with no problem, I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or ask what the frigging hell he was on so settled for a death stare and moved on as I was about to do anyway. Is there really any need for it? Hardly health and safety issue of the century.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tell me about it.

On the subject of overzealous stewarding, a few home games ago I was standing at the front of the Flybe just resting my tea on the barrier whilst I juggled my programme, change, this and that when I was told to move on by a steward who claimed standing there was obstructing the walkway. I looked up suspecting he was just joking but he was deadly serious. On further inspection, there were loads of other people also leaning against the barrier watching the players warm up as people have done every game I've ever been to since the new stand was built. I have no idea if he asked them to move on but certainly didn't see him do so. Since there was about two metres completely clear behind me and people milling about in both directions with no problem, I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or ask what the frigging hell he was on so settled for a death stare and moved on as I was about to do anyway. Is there really any need for it? Hardly health and safety issue of the century.
Heh, exactly the same thing happened to me a few games back. I was "inspecting" the pitch, and was asked to move along. I treated it as a joke.

IndoMike

Tell me about it.

These are classic examples of "tin hitlers". Give them a little bit of authority and they act like they own the place. If this is truly a regular problem (and I really don't know if it is), then some kind of petition should be done and presented to whom it may concern. As i say - the fans pay their wages .....(they are paid, aren't they?)

Legohead

Banned
I went in the main stand for the first time on Saturday and saw a steward moving quite a few people on from resting on the barriers. Some looked confused that it was even an issue. I certainly have never ever seen this happen or been told myself in over 20 years of watching football at various grounds all around the country. Yes I can understand it after kick off but beforehand I don't feel they have a right to pester fans like this unless they ARE causing a genuine and obvious obstruction. Maybe they don't believe that responsible adults are able to say 'excuse me please' to other fans who may be in the way and feel they have to do it on their behalf. :D

Last edited:

iscalad

Yep, never happened to me before either.

On a related note, what's with the pat-down searches these days? I asked the steward, and he said it was something they were asked to do. But by whom for what reason?

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK, glad it's not just me. Obviously during the match is a no-no or if a genuine obstruction was being caused but stopping people pre-match does seem to be an odd new stewarding policy.

Never been patted down, but they do like to have a nosey in any bags, understandably so.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Are the stewards volunteers though or are they paid? I'd feel a bit harsh with my comments slightly if they were giving up their free time to help out. (worry)

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are the stewards volunteers though or are they paid? I'd feel a bit harsh with my comments slightly if they were giving up their free time to help out. (worry)
I'm sure some of them are employed by an outside company, shadow security? But one of them has been a steward for as long as i've been going which is nearly 26 years now.

rp42

I'm sure some of them are employed by an outside company, shadow security? But one of them has been a steward for as long as i've been going which is nearly 26 years now.
If there aren't paid they are still getting in to watch the game for free.

Yep, never happened to me before either.

On a related note, what's with the pat-down searches these days? I asked the steward, and he said it was something they were asked to do. But by whom for what reason?
For various reasons I've taken to using the jungle path of late instead of the OtR turnstiles.......I only ever once got a patdown at OtR but I get one every time up the jungle..................to be fair the security guys there are a good laugh but at 63 yrs of age is it really necessary ?........although I must say it's always the best fumble I ever get as long as I keep my eyes closed............

all together now - "Ahhhhh !"