• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

You're top five favourite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: You're top five favorite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

I'm amazed so many have gone for Hamer, I never rated the guy.
Hamer was an enigma. Certainly too good for us to keep (or afford) but I'm not sure he was as good as all that either. I remember the game at home to Yeovil about three years ago which we ended up losing 3-4. I thought he could have done better with all four goals. He was beaten to a cross he should have got to which allowed a header into an empty net, and he was poor on one that Dean Bowditch got in the second half, when he allowed an original shot to come back into Bowditchs path who wasnt missing from that range! I felt sorry for Cureton that day too, since the couple he scored counted for sod all. Another thing that Hamer did that day which I thought was foolhardy was to blatently hands above head applaud the goals we scored in the first half in front of a packed away end! To me that was intimidatory in front of the Yeovil fans. They had the last laugh though in a game we should have won.

Langer

Two people have said James Bittner Ill take that big juicy worm!!!! :)

Red Lion

Based on it being my favourite keepers but MAY not be the best;

Johnny Shaw ; loved him, and I think most of us who were around at the time did.
Dave Walter ; really cool as a Devon side to have a sheep farmer in goal (IMHO).
Big Kev ; promotion season, say no more.
Jonah ; 2 promotion seasons, say no more.
James Bittner ; When Alex Inglethorpe arrived, we had Bitts and Ricey on our books, of all the departments we desperately needed help in, GK didn't appear to be one of them. Good call though. If Jonah hadn't arrived I'm sure Bitts would have remained a Grecian for a while. Good honest player.

Last edited:

Citysupporter2099

Ben Hamer.

PeteUSA

Hey!!!!!! What mod corrected the way I spell favorite? There's no 'U' in it in this neck of the woods! Pity you're not so quick to rectify 'granstand'!!

ra2006

Re: You're top five favorite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

This isn't based on ability just characteristics;
Dave Walter (Worked around his ungainly stature (he had legs like a daddy longlegs, long, thin and went everywhere) to be a decent keeper for us)
Was'nt he the guy in the late 80's/early 90's who we signed from Bideford Town on a emergency, I kind of remember that he came to us as our 1st 2nd and 3rd choice keepers were all injuried!! Am I right?

Grecian_Jay

Our keepers have been ****! I'll go with (in no particular order):

1. Bittner - Loved this bloke, I really enjoyed our team back then and he was a decent bloke to as well as being pretty decent.

2. Van Heusden - Decent keeper indeed, would have him over Artur anyday!

3. Kev Miller - Only saw him in the second spell but still thought he was excellent.

4. Hamer - I think he was quality and will still go on to play higher. He oozed confidence and had a decent presence.

5. Jansson - I really liked him. Seem to remember it was a home game against Swindon (think we drew 1-1 with a Logie late goal) where he was immense and made a number of good saves. Where is he now?!

LOG

The internet tells me that Oscar is back in Sweden playing for Örebro SK, whoever they are.

Grecian_Jay

The internet tells me that Oscar is back in Sweden playing for Örebro SK, whoever they are.
What a waste. In regards to Orebro I think Woy used to manage them if my knowledge is correct.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ooh, a Uni housemate of mine had family from (and therefore supported as his 2nd team) Orebro. Janssen was utterly abysmal the time I saw him, mind.

My favourites:

Kevin Miller - immense player. I remember when he was in the Prem with Palace, and they played Derby at the time Dean Sturridge was scoring for fun. Afterwards he (Sturridge) described Miller thus (or thereabouts): "The mark of a great goalkeeper is the ability to look unbeatable. Schmeichel has this, so does Miller."

Paul Jones - for the most part outstanding, and put in the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen (bar mine against Sunderland and Bristol City), against Stevenage on his full debut.

Arjan van Heusden - solid as a rock, very unlucky to get shunted sideways with Miller's return (a position we didn't need to strengthen when up front we had little).

Ben Hamer - no better or no worse than Jones, but did a good job for us once Jones was shunted out.

Stuart Naylor - vastly experienced keeper who did a good job during a brief stint with us.