• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

You're top five favourite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Okay, I'll leave out George Hunter, since only a couple remember him.... My top five in latter years from top to bottom would be:-

Len Bond: Brave, courageous, outstanding ability and agility since he wasnt mega tall.

Peter Shearing: Totally consistant in everything he did. Top notch in every aspect; I dont remember him making errors like our modern day incumbants.

Bob Wilson: Not a lot between him and Shearing, but at 6'3" he was marginally better dominating his area. Didnt miss a thing by way of crosses.

Richard Key: Again not all that tall at about 5'10", but he exuded confidence. A major factor in our 76/77 promotion year.

Kevin Miller: Okay all the 'King Kev' fans who'll proclaim he went on to play in the Premiership; the fact remains that during his promotion season with us, our outfield team was so good and in control that he really never had a lot to do! What he did do he did competantly, but he was never seriously tested IMHO. The 'statuesque' stance regarding shots that he became known for generally worked, but I'm not convinced he always knew the ball was going wide! I know he went to the very top UK wise, but I've always felt that his weight management held him back throughout his career.

There you go boys, and I dont want anybody taking the urine by including Jonah!

IndoMike

Re: You're top five favorite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

Okay, I'll leave out George Hunter, since only a couple remember him.... My top five in latter years from top to bottom would be:-

Len Bond: Brave, courageous, outstanding ability and agility since he wasnt mega tall.

Peter Shearing: Totally consistant in everything he did. Top notch in every aspect; I dont remember him making errors like our modern day incumbants.

Bob Wilson: Not a lot between him and Shearing, but at 6'3" he was marginally better dominating his area. Didnt miss a thing by way of crosses.

Richard Key: Again not all that tall at about 5'10", but he exuded confidence. A major factor in our 76/77 promotion year.

Kevin Miller: Okay all the 'King Kev' fans who'll proclaim he went on to play in the Premiership; the fact remains that during his promotion season with us, our outfield team was so good and in control that he really never had a lot to do! What he did do he did competantly, but he was never seriously tested IMHO. The 'statuesque' stance regarding shots that he became known for generally worked, but I'm not convinced he always knew the ball was going wide! I know he went to the very top UK wise, but I've always felt that his weight management held him back throughout his career.

There you go boys, and I dont want anybody taking the urine by including Jonah!
Alan Barnett must have gone close, Pate

PeteUSA

Alan Barnett must have gone close, Pate
Quite agree Mike, Barnett would have been in the mix for my top 3, but I dont think our exeweb chums will remember him any more than they'd remember the legendary George H.

fred binneys head

I started watching in 83 Pate, so I will go (in no particular order):

Kevin Miller
Ben Hamer
Arjen Van Heusden
Peter Fox
Oscar Janssen

Arjen van Heusden was under rated because he came after 'Big Kev'. Dave Walters was also a good keeper. Ben Hamer was over rated, and got away with it because he had lots of self confidence. I also remember Jon Brown playing in goal after a sending off: that was like watching a car crash.... You know you shouldn't watch but couldn't hep it. I also remember some shockers from John Shaw.

1. Big Kev. Miller
2. Arjen Van Heusden
3. Dave Walters
4. Peter Fox
5. Oscar Jannsen.

grecIAN Harris

This isn't based on ability just characteristics;
Kevin Miller (The Best)
Len Bond (The first, you never forget the first)
John Shaw (By far and away not one of the best we've had but liked the his baldness)
Artur Krysiak (Loving the way he has stuck two fingers up to boo boys and battled through to prove he is a decent keeper)
Dave Walter (Worked around his ungainly stature (he had legs like a daddy longlegs, long, thin and went everywhere) to be a decent keeper for us)

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster

George Hunter was so far ahead of the rest that it is difficult to form any other comparisons. How the heck he didn't play for Scotland , even when he was with us, I'll never know (particularly when you think of Scottish goalkeepers!)

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Your top five favourite 'glovesmen'
- there, I've said it!

:D

Langer

Just goes to show what you lot know Hello!!!! Mel Gwinnet :)

iscalad

no particular order
Len Bond
Bob Wilson
Peter Shearing
Kevin Miller
Ian Maine

Grief I'm nearly turning into Pate.:(