• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

You're top five favourite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: You're top five favorite 'glovesmen' - there I've said it!

Was'nt he the guy in the late 80's/early 90's who we signed from Bideford Town on a emergency, I kind of remember that he came to us as our 1st 2nd and 3rd choice keepers were all injuried!! Am I right?
Yes, we signed him from Bideford. Did we get him in some kind of emergency? Not that I can remember but couldn't say that for certain.

budegrecian

Yes, we signed him from Bideford. Did we get him in some kind of emergency? Not that I can remember but couldn't say that for certain.
I don't remember him as being signed as an emergency. From memory, which I wouldn't rely on, he was signed at the start of our promotion season & played very well before being ousted, during the season, by a young Kevin Miller.
I know he played at Torrington & Bideford, but I thought we signed him from Yeovil. As I say, my memory may not be that reliable.....
He eventually returned to his roots to play for Putford, where I played against him in the North Devon Premier Lge.

LOG

grecIAN Harris

I don't remember him as being signed as an emergency. From memory, which I wouldn't rely on, he was signed at the start of our promotion season & played very well before being ousted, during the season, by a young Kevin Miller.
I know he played at Torrington & Bideford, but I thought we signed him from Yeovil. As I say, my memory may not be that reliable.....
He eventually returned to his roots to play for Putford, where I played against him in the North Devon Premier Lge.
You and me both.

budegrecian

Benguin

Miller (Goes without saying)
Bond (my era)
Artur (agree with others, real strength to battle the boo boys and begin to prove them wrong)
Hamer ( will make it, had bags of confidence and ability to back it up)
O keefe (Bit of a character, fell like a felled tree into his own net while playing for Wrexham,resolutely clinging onto the ball!)

Oldsmobile-88

Was'nt he the guy in the late 80's/early 90's who we signed from Bideford Town on a emergency, I kind of remember that he came to us as our 1st 2nd and 3rd choice keepers were all injuried!! Am I right?
Terry Cooper signed Dave Walter around Nov 1988...He wanted to replace Mel Gwinnet.I recall when he came onto the away terrace at Hartlepool,saying that he would have a new keeper in place by the next week,which he did.Walter played in the next game at home to Colchester...Gwinnett did not feature for the Grecians again.

Walter has the rare distinction of playing in goal for all 3 Devon FL league teams

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bob Wilson
Key and Waugh for our promotion season
Kev Miller

ECFC Music

George Hunter was so far ahead of the rest that it is difficult to form any other comparisons. How the heck he didn't play for Scotland , even when he was with us, I'll never know (particularly when you think of Scottish goalkeepers!)
Go along with that.I remember him in an old 3rd Div South match outshining Reg Matthews of Coventry when he was choosen as the England keeper.

budegrecian

Bob Wilson
Key and Waugh for our promotion season
Kev Miller
I thought it was Baugh. John Baugh; came from St Lukes College when Key got injured IIRC.

Last edited: