• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
The period under Blake and McNob was the worst. The football on offer during that period was so woefully depressing that I remember thinking that the £1 entry fee for under-16's was a rip off.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, that was another dire game (the 3-0 loss) the following season, tho same year late 2010. As you say, mitigating circumstances for that poor performance.
In all I think we played 5 times at the Withdean and lost them all with most of them being pretty depressing experiences. Can't be many grounds where we've had worse records.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I seem to remember beating Workington at home in 1975 1-0, an awful game and desperate for the ref to end the game. Their keeper wanted to know how much time was left, the response from us, was time you were out of the league.

eurogrecian

Spoilt for choice!
Some famous horror shows mentioned so far, but some of them looked like an accident waiting to happen even before the event.

I'll go for an outside choice: a 2-1 defeat at the mighty Farnborough Town on 30 August 2004.
The result was crap of course, but the total lack of effort by virtually the whole team was the shocking part - and I'd driven from Brussels for the day to watch it!
I do believe that it is the only time I have booed the players off the pitch in 40-odd years of watching City.

sidney

ECFC 1 - 2 Bedford Town Nov 1965 First Round FA Cup

Those were the days when FA Cup matches drew bigger crowds than League games. When the draw was made, everyone thought 'great, that's us in the second round, and only one win away from that big game against a top side'. They brought considerable and very noisy support, and I couldn't believe that they took over our stadium. We were dire, and I seem to remember the OG applauding the Bedford team off the park.

eurogrecian

Spoilt for choice!
Some famous horror shows mentioned so far, but some of them looked like an accident waiting to happen even before the event.

I'll go for an outside choice: a 2-1 defeat at the mighty Farnborough Town on 30 August 2004.
The result was crap of course, but the total lack of effort by virtually the whole team was the shocking part - and I'd driven from Brussels for the day to watch it!
I do believe that it is the only time I have booed the players off the pitch in 40-odd years of watching City.
Aie, I see it got mentioned earlier in the thread - glad it wasn't only me who recalled it!

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Alvechurch for me. We had a useful team at the time. Dire performance.

andrew p long

Walton and Hersham.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Alvechurch for me. We had a useful team at the time. Dire performance.
I hadn't been supporting Exeter for long when we lost to them. I thought we were invincible!

iscalad

I hadn't been supporting Exeter for long when we lost to them. I thought we were invincible!
Oh dear. You poor deluded fool. 😂