• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Ian Russon

Something that got me thinking today, whats the worst ever performance you've ever seen us play?

being a relatively new fan to Exeter City, mine has to be the way Paul Tisdale played us at Wembley. not the worst for goals against us, I'm sure there is worse but for the sudden decline in moral and the way we played after having such an amazing second half to the season, i thought it was written in the stars that we would win. It taught me never to expect anything ever again. still bitter about the whole thing :)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Chesterfield at home 6-1 drubbing.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Two for me really stick out, both under Alex Inglethorpe:

2004/5 Grays (A) - FA Trophy Q-F. While Grays were spending massively and were heading for promotion to the Conference, they were still a division below, but we were absolutely stuffed 4-1 in a "performance" where we clearly thought we'd won before we set foot on the pitch. 16 year old Gary Hooper tore us a new one, but for me it was the sight of Alex Jeannin stood, hands on hips, on the halfway line as Hooper raced down his flank to score that summed up the lack of effort.

2005/6 Burton (A) - Conference. Having been toe to toe at the top with Accrington for the first half of the season our form had dipped alarmingly by the time we visited Burton on a Friday night in February. There we turned in a display against a very poor Burton side that would have seen most Sunday pub sides turn us over, and it was only because Burton were almost as bad that we lost just 2-0 when a decent side would have put 10 past us.

Honourable mention to one of Eamonn Dolan's final matches in charge in August 2004, a 2-1 reverse at Farnborough on the Bank Holiday - they'd just been hit for seven two days earlier at Carlisle and were in complete disarray off the pitch. The atmosphere in the away end turned very ugly afterwards when Eamo came to applaud us - I was struck by a bottle that had been thrown from the away end as I tried to leave.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Certainly worst defensive performance I can remember although we were ok going forward. Cambridge 0-5 at home in mid-nineties was dire. Steve Butler scored all five.

Grecian2K

And it was on by birthday too!!! :cry:
Nonetheless, in the end it did turn out to be a "minor blip" in the context of the season overall.
For me, by far the worst I've seen was on 23rd April 1983 at the tail-end of the Godfrey era when Brentford inflicted a 1-7 cricket score on us (and that scoreline actually flattered us.) This was immediately followed by an almost equally abject 1-5 at Brisbane Road.
Yet despite these end of season set-backs the team still managed to follow up with a couple of wins in their remaining home games before a very, very late equaliser at Somerton Park managed to somehow save our sorry ar$es in Div 3 for one more season - just long enough for Gerry Francis to "finish the job".

David Treharne

Honourable mention to one of Eamonn Dolan's final matches in charge in August 2004, a 2-1 reverse at Farnborough on the Bank Holiday - they'd just been hit for seven two days earlier at Carlisle and were in complete disarray off the pitch. The atmosphere in the away end turned very ugly afterwards when Eamo came to applaud us - I was struck by a bottle that had been thrown from the away end as I tried to leave.
I'd echo the chaos off the pitch ( as well as on it). In the Board Room we watched as several of the Farnborough Directors squared up to each other in front of a gob smacked group of City Directors. They were barely restrained and the atmosphere remained poisonous!

Grecian2K

Are we allowed to include FA Cup games as well?
Bognor Regis and Alvechurch spring to mind. As do, more recently, Curzon Ashton, Warrington Town.....and THAT infamous replay at Anfield!!! :p

Ian Russon

Are we allowed to include FA Cup games as well?
Bognor Regis and Alvechurch spring to mind. As do, more recently, Curzon Ashton, Warrington Town.....and THAT infamous replay at Anfield!!! :p
I watched the Warrington Town game on TV. We lost 1-0 if my memory serves me right. The Warrington players had serious cramp and fitness issues come the 80min mark and we still could not score.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
0-4 home defeat to Scunthorpe early in the 2001-2 season, just before the "managerial genius" that was Noel Blake was sacked.

That weekend's results saw us in the bottom two. The only good news was that the Chipnickers were below us, and the Snot Rags one place above.

elginCity

One in particular sticks in the mind. League 1 v Brighton at the Withdean, Feb 2010. An awful performance on a bitterly cold day, not been so angry with a City team before or since, they just gave up. 22nd in the table.

I wonder if Matt Taylor remembers it, he had a shocker, one of many on the day !