• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well at least unlike Mowlems they will be unable to cut down on their landfill costs by burying it under the BB, thereby effectively ruling out any future use of the space.
Not strictly true the ground under the Big Bank is virgin soil and actually forms part of the design concept to save on the costs excavating deeper or piling for the stanchion bases.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not strictly true the ground under the Big Bank is virgin soil and actually forms part of the design concept to save on the costs excavating deeper or piling for the stanchion bases.
I bow to your superior knowledge Pete. (y)

PeteUSA

Why thank you! (boffin)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit of asbestos dust never did me any harm.

Elfin safety gon' mad innit!

Antony Moxey

Well at least unlike Mowlems they will be unable to cut down on their landfill costs by burying it under the BB, thereby effectively ruling out any future use of the space.
There is no future use for the space, the new BB was built on top of the old BB with the old BB structure left in place to allow the foundations to be piled into it. The rake of the new BB is steeper than the old such that at the top of the BB there is about ten feet of headroom that tapers down to nothing at the front.

Colesman Ballz

There is no future use for the space.
Exactly what I said. A classic example, of develop for today, and feck tomorrow. The space that could have been used for future relocation of big bank toilets, refreshment and bar facilities, groundsman's store etc, lost forever without the expense of a complete rebuild !

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
CB you were replying to my response to you.....who is Pete?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly what I said. A classic example, of develop for today, and feck tomorrow. The space that could have been used for future relocation of big bank toilets, refreshment and bar facilities, groundsman's store etc, lost forever without the expense of a complete rebuild !
CB as it was we did not have enough money to complete the new "Doble" as it was called. Nothing to with lack of thought just limited budget. Excavating the existing bank would have resulted in a far more costly design necessary to support the new structure. Having said that when I was involved I was very disappointed to find that there was indeed no available space under the new Big Bank.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no future use for the space, the new BB was built on top of the old BB with the old BB structure left in place to allow the foundations to be piled into it. The rake of the new BB is steeper than the old such that at the top of the BB there is about ten feet of headroom that tapers down to nothing at the front.
As I said in my post 31 earlier all part of the foundation and groundwork design......saved a considerable amount of money.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit of asbestos dust never did me any harm.

Elfin safety gon' mad innit!
You are of course joking.....and joking or not in very bad taste when you think of the proven numbers of construction workers carpenters and electricians carrying out first fixings and working with eternit and asbestos panels that have subsequently died from Asbestosis.