• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bournemouth Matchday thread!

Woodsy

My thought on tonight:

1) Bournemouth are quite a good side.

2) As it's been pointed out, we where out muscled all night long with no one willing to put there foot in, unlike there number 3, who made 2 cracking, hard but fair challenges.

3) Saunders was poor and when Sercombe came on we had more of a threat

4) We looked a lot more dangerous when we where passing and moving quickly, when ever we slow it down and try and pick passes it goes wrong.

5) Troy and Basham looked of the pace the tonight

6) People have commented on how we had a lack of an ariel threat, well i thought when MaC came on, they where more comfortable. There number 2 and 3 dealt well with the high balls later on.

7) The bank should heads in shame, our support tonight was poor. It's nights like these when we really need to get behind the team and tonight we didn't. Where as Bournemouth made some noise, even with no roof.

8) Why are none of the players when they have the ball going forward willing to drive on and try and beat the man?

But saying all that, we are still in a play off place, doing alot better then i thought we would. Saturday is another game, so come on City!

Also the most stupid comment of the night came from the old bloke next to me as there 3rd went in "well thats our promotion push over"

simcity

My thoughts,

1) Rob Edwards was well of the pace tonight, his constant long diagonal balls really annoy me, i can't remember the last time one was affective, they always seem to end up in the keeper hands or out for a throw in.

2) The final ball was poor again, every ball into the box from wide was overhit or straight at the keeper. The only good ball was hard and driven low and Bash i think had a great chance saved right on HT, more of those balls please.

3) Build up was more slow than usual tonight, we just let them get 8 men behind the ball before we started to pass it around.

4) Neil Saunders was guff tonight, hasn't been that good the last few games tbf...just take on the man ffs.

5) Bash wasn't on form, couldn't connect with anything and didn't challenge for any ball rom what i remember, just stood there.

6) Give the ball to Deano more, he had a lot of space most of the time and was screaming for it yet Edwards just lumped it towards the box...not needed...

Onwards and upwards and lets batter Bradford on Saturday!

UTC!

Red the Paper

Banned
Impressed with 750 from Bournemouth. 2nd from bottom and bringing that number on a Tuesday night deserves credit. Not sure we would have taken as many tonight if the roles were reversed.

exesaddler

My Thoughts:

1. Saunders was very, very poor. He continued his annoying habit of playing far too deep when we have the ball, therfore we have no attacking outlet on te right unless Stanno pulls out of postition. Even when Saunders had the ball, he lacked any confidence.

2. Russell was poor, didn't have the same impact as Manny does.

3. Where's Richard Logan? Really could of done with him as a option at 2-1 down tonight rather than a centre back

4. Matt Gill was excellent, looked well up for it from 1st to last whistle

5. Bournmouth were excellent in the 2nd half and will stay up comfortably on that form and for me were good money for the win, however, we gifted them all 3 goals.

6. Our destiny is still in our own hands, we remain in the playoffs with a game in hand on Shrews
JMJ...I actually agree with all you say. Russell and Robbie were looking very tired in the last 10 minutes.

Bournemouth played a good game switching tactics niceley and surprisingly starting with 3 up front! The CB's had Macca in their collective back pocket when he came on. Liam was more progressive than Saunders who seemed content to just keep the ball but not focused on making many creative moves. Interesting when he lost the ball for their goal he was immediately subbed.

Their 3rd saw us with Troy at RB Gill CB and Matt, Deano and Rob still in their half and Danny getting a head transplant or something! Not our best bit of positional play but it was do or die at thast stage I guess

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its a two way thing, sometimes the fans lift the players other times the players must lift the fans....tonight the players needed to lift the fans and they played poor.
No it's the big crowd thing. There were times tonight when City were putting in moves which usually bring a round of applause but instead were bringing sighs and shouts of discouragment. Didn't help that people were shouting shoot when players had the ball on their wrong foot, Deano probably won't score from 18 yards with his right foot, likewise Russell with his left from 25 yards. I actually believe that the poor attitude of much of the crowd was a key factor in the result tonight, I've seen it before when the crowd gets agitated and the players slip up and I truly believe that it's one of the reasons why our away form has been better in the past.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
What a crock of sh*t. We are so ropey at the back and not for the first time in the last few weeks. Only Stansfield (easily MOM), Gill, Taylor and Deano came out of it with full credit. We simply have to be better on saturday, stop dodging tackles liuke a bunch of three-year-old girls and strap on a pair of b*ll*cks. So f*cked off, we are so easy to score against at times it is actually incredible. Aaaaaaaaaaagh.

exesaddler

No it's the big crowd thing. There were times tonight when City were putting in moves which usually bring a round of applause but instead were bringing sighs and shouts of discouragment. Didn't help that people were shouting shoot when players had the ball on their wrong foot, Deano probably won't score from 18 yards with his right foot, likewise Russell with his left from 25 yards. I actually believe that the poor attitude of much of the crowd was a key factor in the result tonight, I've seen it before when the crowd gets agitated and the players slip up and I truly believe that it's one of the reasons why our away form has been better in the past.
No one really knows if it upsets players when the crowd get's agitated (I have my views), but we know one thing for sure - it does not help!

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Trying to put things into perspective- we've had a little bit of luck recently in some games so maybe tonight isn't to much of a downer.

(a) v Shrews - missed penalty, and never looked like scoring them till Marcus got us out of jail.

(a) v Chester - a combination of a Jonesy save and awful finishing from Ryan Lowe gave us a point.

(H) v Barnet - ropey performance as a missed pen with 3 mins left gives us 3 points.

Throw in a near thing at Luton and a late goal v Grimsby and I still think over the last ten games we've knicked 4/5 more points then we might have had without a rub of the green.

Just trying to cheer myself up !

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a crock of sh*t. We are so ropey at the back and not for the first time in the last few weeks. Only Stansfield (easily MOM), Gill, Taylor and Deano came out of it with full credit. We simply have to be better on saturday, stop dodging tackles liuke a bunch of three-year-old girls and strap on a pair of b*ll*cks. So f*cked off, we are so easy to score against at times it is actually incredible. Aaaaaaaaaaagh.

I thought that Stanno did nothing of note today, ran a bit as usual but also lost the ball and never threatened the keeper. Gill was the obvious MOTM for me and Taylor was good too but MOxey never really inspired me. As for so easy to score against, well we've been pretty decent for a few weeks now, you've got to expect the ocassional lapse.

everexe

Apart from Basham & Saunders i did'nt think we were that poor tonight, Bournemouth are fighting to stay up and fair play to them deserved to win tonight, i hope they stay in the league, far too big a club for the BSP. A win on Saturday and all will be forgotten, we need more bite in midfield though, Manny to replace Saunders and Big Mac to replace Basham, with Logie on the bench. UTC.