• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bournemouth Matchday thread!

shakey18

Just a quick one. We didnt have enough bite, looked lightweight all over the pitch, they wanted it more than us, took and created more chances than us. A bit of a reality check, thinks we should go back to 4-4-2. Thats football.
Completely agree.The midfield performance as a whole was woeful. Some players need to be told they they are actually allowed to tackle.

Grecian1987

Just got home. Haven't read the thread yet, but here's my view on the match...

Good first half. Bournemouth tried to rough us up a bit but our class put us on top. We played with plenty of confidence, and stroked the ball around well. Stanno scored one, and Bash probably should have put away a second (but for a great save from Jones).

Second half... well... Bournemouth shot out of the blocks, as should have been expected. Exeter started off sluggishly, but I thought that we'd manage to catch up with the speed of the game. We didn't. Which meant we were completely overrun, and were made to look average by a bullish Bournemouth side. I couldn't see what happened for the first goal, but it LOOKED like Jones made a howler, letting the ball slip under his body.

Second goal, Saunders gave the ball away after an attacking set piece; Bournemouth then cut through our defence scarily easily to put the ball away. This happened for the rest of the half, as Bournemouth grew in confidence. Our midfield was completely overrun, with Russell in particular looking very pedestrian. The way we reverted to (and stuck with) playing the long ball was very disappointing, as the Bournemouth defence were just bigger and stronger than us, and swatted our high balls away like flies.

The third goal came from a poorly-placed Edwards header. See above for what followed.

My ratings:

Jones - 5 At fault for the first goal, and some wayward kicking all game. Poor by his high standards.
Troy - 6 Some good touches, but some errors made.
Taylor - 8 Immense at the back, gave his all for the entire 90 minutes.
Edwards - 5 Got forward well, but wasted possession and was at fault for the third goal.
Saunders - 5 Was marked out of the game.
Moxey - 6 Plenty of effort, but crosses were poor.
Gill - 8 Would have got a 9 on the first half alone - was really fired up and really got stuck in.
Russell - 5 Poor, looked off the pace all game.
Stewart - 6 Started well but faded.
Basham - 5 First half was ok, but hauled off early in the second half after some poor touches.
Stansfield - 7 Ran ran ran and ran some more. Hassled the defenders, and got a good goal. Unfortunately was shut out as Bournemouth were in the acendancy.

SUBS
Macca (for Basham) - 5 Came on for the aerial threat, but was tiny compared to their centre halves.
Seaborne (for Stansfield) - 5 Was off for most of the time with a head injury. Unfortunately the gap left by this was exploited by Bournemouth.

I am a frustrated young man...

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stewart did ok. Found a lot of space. We do seem dreadfully immobile with Russel in the side as well though...
I feel that Saunders is causing mobility problems, never seems to want to run beyond the defender to get in behind, always steps back and then we have to pass it across midfield. When Liam came on he seemed happier to run at defenders and overlap.

Tonight was a setback but ultimately Bournemouth played alright and capitilised on a few mistakes, people who expect 100% every game are kidding themselves. On a final note I'd just like to point out that at this time last season a lot of people didn't think we'd even make it out of the BSP, to be where we are in L2 is phenomenal.

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
the total lack of aerial threat tonight was worrying.

Tis needs to push Moxey forward with mac and Logie up front.

Can't even blame the referee tonight!

i_m

Borat

Stewart looked a little slow on the ball and they found that out and got into him quick to smuff the pass ;)

Borat

the total lack of aerial threat tonight was worrying.

Tis needs to push Moxey forward with mac and Logie up front.

Can't even blame the referee tonight!

i_m
What about the lino with his flag up near the end for offside, but the ref was on another planet and couldnt understand what everyone was pointing at? (clutches at straws ;))

kpecfc10

Bournemouth got no more than they deserved. We we **** poor tonight. Even Moxey was average, which is rarely the case. They were up for it, and had sustained spells of pressure which were always going to tell in the end. Just so frustrating conceding sh1te goals like the first 2 though. Jones has been outstanding for most of the season, but he was caught out tonight. He scares me every time he's passed the ball, and it's telling the way everyone cheers when he kicks a ball clean, long, and straight! Just a real opportunity missed, as the rest of the results fell fairly well tonight.

Borat

Bournemouth got no more than they deserved. We we **** poor tonight. Even Moxey was average, which is rarely the case. They were up for it, and had sustained spells of pressure which were always going to tell in the end. Just so frustrating conceding sh1te goals like the first 2 though. Jones has been outstanding for most of the season, but he was caught out tonight. He scares me every time he's passed the ball, and it's telling the way everyone cheers when he kicks a ball clean, long, and straight! Just a real opportunity missed, as the rest of the results fell fairly well tonight.
Tonight when the ball was passed back to Jones to kick, he did fine....it was when he kicked it from his hands or on the floor, but that only happened near the end.....he is forgiven in my mind, think of all the vital saves he made during the season.

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
I feel that Saunders is causing mobility problems, never seems to want to run beyond the defender to get in behind, always steps back and then we have to pass it across midfield.
Because he does not have the pace. Not many of our team do. It would help when counter attacking.

kpecfc10

Tonight when the ball was passed back to Jones to kick, he did fine....it was when he kicked it from his hands or on the floor, but that only happened near the end.....he is forgiven in my mind, think of all the vital saves he made during the season.
Fair comment. But his kicking does still scare me.