• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

CITY V Mansfield Build-up and predictions

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would you know who Ben Seymour was if he approached you in the street and said, hello, I'm Ben Seymour?
Yes. But I think the correct reply is ‘are you sure you’re not Tom Nichols?’

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

They will be really up for this after losing to Crewe at home on Saturday and having had to face the inevitable rollicking from the manager. They will also be out to avenge their defeat by us back in September plus the defeat last Saturday knocked them out of the autos.
The Crewe manager said a couple of interesting things in the local paper about the game-"With Mansfield you have to be less tactically astute but more physically aware".
With 8 outfield yellows (4 each) it sounded like Crewe gave as good as they got on the day and matched Mansfield's physicality and were not prepared to be bullied.
Whilst I am not advocating we should kick them off the park (and risk any more reds) it is vital that we stand our ground and make it clear we also won't be bullied off the ball. Firm and fair tackling will be the order of the day and hopefully we will get a ref that understands that footie is a "contact sport".
He (the Crewe manager) also praised the running and closing down of his players. Other than last Saturday Mansfield's defence looks pretty good in terms of goals against-main thing is to not let them get an early goal.

Alistair20000

The Stags have stuttered with only 5 points from their last 5 games.

Looking at the table they draw too many games.

Very hard to predict this one and I am sticking with my 1-1 draw on the March prediction thread.

I see the ref is Ben Toner. I hope he gets the big calls right as a slight adjustment of the letters in his name might be made by angry fans. :)

Red Devon

Mansfield have a very good record at SJP in recent years four wins from the last five visits...similar to ours up there!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They will be really up for this after losing to Crewe at home on Saturday and having had to face the inevitable rollicking from the manager. They will also be out to avenge their defeat by us back in September plus the defeat last Saturday knocked them out of the autos.
The Crewe manager said a couple of interesting things in the local paper about the game-"With Mansfield you have to be less tactically astute but more physically aware".
With 8 outfield yellows (4 each) it sounded like Crewe gave as good as they got on the day and matched Mansfield's physicality and were not prepared to be bullied.
Whilst I am not advocating we should kick them off the park (and risk any more reds) it is vital that we stand our ground and make it clear we also won't be bullied off the ball. Firm and fair tackling will be the order of the day and hopefully we will get a ref that understands that footie is a "contact sport".
He (the Crewe manager) also praised the running and closing down of his players. Other than last Saturday Mansfield's defence looks pretty good in terms of goals against-main thing is to not let them get an early goal.
Mansfield have an expensively assembled squad with a lot of big name players for this division but there have been question marks over the manager's ability to get them playing as a team. My main memory from the away game is that once we got on the top they got very rattled and starting hacking our players down.
A draw would a decent result but I think we have a real opportunity to beat a team who are struggling at the moment.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, very good and well researched. The Chad (short for Chronicle Advertiser) was always a good local rag when I lived up that way.

IndoMike

The article finishes abruptly but is is indeed very accurate and extremely fair.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster