• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

Albumen

My feeling is that we’re likely to have a much better ‘budgetary’ process now the full time CFO is in place. I would hope this results in securing a few contract extensions and getting the youngsters secured on significantly improved deals.

Would be a good base to work from.

If Eisa and Woods (assuming he does the business) became available I’d push the boat out to secure them. Two proper L1 quality players.

Probably also need to use the loan system quite heavily again but quite relaxed about that as long as we have a spine of the team consisting of our own players.
Securing league one football, I would imagine, might be the trigger for some contract extensions. This makes sense for the players and the club.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reading comprehension seems to not be people's strong point right now - I also didn't say we were being lucky (though we definitely had the rub of the green against Wigan with the deflections ;)). Some managers lead teams that seem to run on momentum - nearly invincible when they've won a few, you wonder if they've seen a football before when they've lost a few.

The performances in this current run have been much, much better by all accounts but I'd certainly prefer to just be a good team rather than oscillating between excellent and shit
dear oh dear you will be denying that you said those games were, as you say, “streaky.” You are now saying that streaky doesnt mean we got lucky then. If not what else does streaky mean except thin bacon! It also appears your comments are third hand given you say the performances are streaky “by all accounts” - if you actually watched the matches you wouldn't have to guess they were streaky :whistle:

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
dear oh dear you will be denying that you said those games were, as you say, streaky. You are now saying that streaky doesnt mean we got lucky then. If not what else does streaky mean except thin bacon. It also appears your comments are third hand given you say the performances you feel are streaky are you say by all accounts - if you actually watched the matches you wouldn't have to guess they were streaky :whistle:
I think he means we go on streaks of winning a load then losing a load? Patchy

larrywilkie

We've had two poor summer windows followed up with two strong January windows - which in their own words is the harder and more competitive windows, especially budgetary wise

I suggest you ask yourself a few more questions

Away from that, it wasn't really what my post was about. You said you're excited to see us build on what we have contracted, but the key issue is we are still looking very weak in that area. It will likely be a big rebuild again.
I'd argue that the last Summer window wasn't poor (apart from the much discussed Striker issue). Yes we lost a lot of quality which was inevitable with players moving on to bigger clubs or higher up the league, but we also brought in Aitchison, Cole, Niskanen, Jules, Harper, Sinisalo, Trevitt, Rankine and Carroll. I would be more than happy if all of those were here next season (though of course Trevitt and Vil are highly unlikely!!).

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Away from that, it wasn't really what my post was about. You said you're excited to see us build on what we have contracted, but the key issue is we are still looking very weak in that area. It will likely be a big rebuild again.
We are in the same situation we always end up in when getting into the third division. We have always had a mass exodus followed by a transition period whilst we are forced to rebuild. In previous times it has taken us to crash and burn and meant years before we are competitive again. We are imo being much quicker in this transitional period being two seasons of which we are part way through the process. We have more players contracted for next season than we did last year. We are taking advantage of loan players in exactly the same way that all clubs in L1 do it's just the new way of working. Also as Ant said some players will only ever sign for us on 1 year or 18 month deals like Demi and Carroll

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd argue that the last Summer window wasn't poor (apart from the much discussed Striker issue). Yes we lost a lot of quality which was inevitable with players moving on to bigger clubs or higher up the league, but we also brought in Aitchison, Cole, Niskanen, Jules, Harper, Sinisalo, Trevitt, Rankine and Carroll. I would be more than happy if all of those were here next season (though of course Trevitt and Vil are highly unlikely!!).
So if we put the thing that results in goals scored (ie strikers) to one side...you know that thing that usually wins football matches...last summer's dealings were actually a success?

The Tory Party needs you as a spin doctor.

Last edited:

Langer

If indeed Gary does manage to keep us up I wonder if the magnitude of the achievement will be lost on some of the posters on here.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
If indeed Gary does manage to keep us up I wonder if the magnitude of the achievement will be lost on some of the posters on here.
I think lots will instead look at the broader picture.

Yes, it will be indeed have been a miracle if we do stay up. On the other hand, the miracle had only come about after our worst run in 25 years. Perspective an all dat.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think lots will instead look at the broader picture.

Yes, it will be indeed have been a miracle that we did stay up. On the other hand, the miracle had only come about after our worst run in 25 years. Perspective an all dat.
If you go on holiday do you remember and think about the journey or is it more important to cherish where you ended up. I would suggest that whilst that losing run made us all question our love of the club the only really important thing this season is staying up. Beyond this season it's about seeing us progress as a L1 club

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given how many key players we lost at the end of last season, and that we are currently above last season's finishing position, is Gary Caldwell over-achieving?