• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
You trust Hawker but it’s based on supposition. 🤷‍♂️
What do you think then mate?

Who's telling the truth

GC has done a good job, regardless of whether its bottom 8 or bottom 2 budget so you don't need to defend him - he's punched above our weight

This second bottom budget thing isn't consistent from those at the top, that's what we're looking at here

Last edited:

DawlishBouy

You trust Hawker but it’s based on supposition. 🤷‍♂️
Hawker’s quote is from a fans forum that was talking about the club’s finances and accounts. Tagg’s quote (repeated by Calwell) was in a throwaway interview on a podcast.

tavyred

So Hawker’s word is the one to be believed, Tagg and GC’s less so?
None of us really know, but the figure that gives GC less credit for our mid table finish is the one the usual suspects hang their hat on I see. 🙄
BTW if anyone thinks that John Radfords millions won’t elevate Mansfield's budget considerably higher than ours next season then they’re mistaken IMO.

Grecian Max

So Hawker’s word is the one to be believed, Tagg and GC’s less so?
None of us really know, but the figure that gives GC less credit for our mid table finish is the one the usual suspects hang their hat on I see. 🙄
Tinfoil hat man

What a load of nonsense in one post 😂

How many times do you want me so say GC has done a great job without comprehending that?

Nutter

tavyred

Tinfoil hat man

What a load of nonsense in one post 😂

How many times do you want me so say GC has done a great job without comprehending that?

Nutter
I think whilst publicly acknowledging what a good job GC did in the end (how could you do otherwise?) you’re guilty of constantly seeking to caveat his ‘success’, as with your desire here to believe Hawker’s more generous story about our budget and accusing GC of obviously wanting to put it out there that we had a bottom two budget to make himself look good.
You don’t rate him and it grips your sh1t that after going ‘all in’ on wanting him gone, he’s made you look (and me incidentally!) foolish.
Admit it.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think whilst publicly acknowledging what a good job GC did in the end (how could you do otherwise?) you’re guilty of constantly seeking to caveat his ‘success’, as with your desire here to believe Hawker’s more generous story about our budget and accusing GC of obviously wanting to put it out there that we had a bottom two budget to make himself look good.
You don’t rate him and it grips your sh1t that after going ‘all in’ on wanting him gone, he’s made you look (and me incidentally!) foolish.
Admit it.
Facts are facts Tavyred - either NH or GC is correct but I would expect someone in authority at our club to know the true facts.
Perhaps an AOB question at the next Trust Board ?

ORy

Facts are facts Tavyred - either NH or GC is correct but I would expect someone in authority at our club to know the true facts.
Or none, or both - what question were they asked, what was defined as 'budget' etc etc. This isn't as straightforward an issue as some might suggest.

tavyred

I agree, with our ownership model transparency is key. That said I don’t think it’s a particularly controversial thing to say that any manager we employ is up against it when they seek to keep us in this division for longer than a couple of seasons. That isn’t a ‘little Exeter’ mentality it’s view based on history, and the limitations of our ownership model and our beloved SJP.

Grecian Max

Admit it.
Really isn’t the case at all 😂 if you spoke to me in person you’d realise this

One thing I need to be good at in my job is to take feedback and iterate, it means I have to except I’m “wrong” a fair bit to get to the right answer - I honestly am happy to be proven wrong and it definitely doesn’t “grip my shit”

I’ve noted your tone on the politics thread and needless to say you struggle to have a mature, balanced conversation which is a shame as you can post well on here too

I’m genuinely really excited about the prospect of next season under Caldwell, he didn’t just prove me wrong in terms of results but his ideas clearly started to come to alive - you could see it in the performances

It wasn’t 10 or 20 minutes here and there, but more consistency - there was element of it all clicking. Caldwell has stated himself that we didn’t play very well at the start of the season and got results in spite of that

He said that the Shrewsbury game was one of the worst he’d ever seen

He admits his mistakes and has managed to develop this side behind its means

I think he’s doing a great job and I’m buzzing for it. With the right recruitment in the summer I can envisage a side that eclipses all of what we’ve seen from ECFC before. That’s how much my faith has swung.

What’s funny here is that I know you agree with me about the limitations of the trust - I suspect the club IS low down in the table but that the bottom 2 rhetoric is laying it on thick somewhat

I don’t blame GC for using that Taggy quote, I would in the same position

I have no desire either way other than to know who’s telling the truth - because Hawker came out and specified otherwise. It would be a concern if Gary is unaware where we stand budget wise, wouldn’t it?

From your post it sounds like you believe it to be true we are bottom 2 (below the giants Cheltenham, Burton and Stevenage) - in which case Hawker has fed us something that’s incorrect. Personally I don’t believe that - for all their faults, the trust are pretty “to the book”

Think logically.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

One thing I need to be good at in my job is to take feedback and iterate, it means I have to except I’m “wrong” a fair bit to get to the right answer - I honestly am happy to be proven wrong and it definitely doesn’t “grip my shit”
That’s good to hear - the correct word is ‘accept’ not ‘except’. People who get that wrong really grip my shit.