• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Bat Fastard

What the hell are the top clubs paying if we’re second bottom. I’ve had it on good authority that the admirals been pocketing a cool 19k per week?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Attendances obviously contribute to the budget but it depends how much privately owned clubs are augmenting their budget with their owner’s money, an option not available to us. So I would guard against the theory that says that our crowds are better than ‘such and such’ club so why are we struggling? It’s more complex than that.
It also massively suits the GC naysayers not to give credit to him for gaining a mid table finish with a bottom two budget, does it not?
This is perhaps the wrong thread for this conversation as I think GC overachieved this season and deserves a lot of credit

The budget thing was a seperate thread really - either Caldwell and Taggy are telling the truth or Hawker is

My point around gates is that we have a lot of potential in this city for a well supported football club - if the Trust is struggling to keep up with that then we need to look at alternatives

STURTZ

Rising attendances, no extra money coming in, raise gate prices, bit of a no brainer really.

Boyo

I agree, although I think Mansfield will be pretty close to us in terms of gates next year - their location was kind to them last season in terms of teams around them
Their location isn't changing ;-) Next season we'll only have Rovers within a two hour drive time of Exeter. Mansfield will have half the league within two hours.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What the hell are the top clubs paying if we’re second bottom. I’ve had it on good authority that the admirals been pocketing a cool 19k per week?
See post #9007

iscalad

Their location isn't changing ;-) Next season we'll only have Rovers within a two hour drive time of Exeter. Mansfield will have half the league within two hours.
Plymouth?????😁

tavyred

Who's not giving GC credit?

Achieving results in line with budget would be credit worthy - many clubs don't manage it.

As I said during the season, our lower budget is somewhat offset by the steady hand provided by Trust Ownership. They were right not to pull the trigger when almost any other Chairman would have. And it kept us up. That alone is worth more than our budget deficit between us and some mid table clubs, IMO.
There’s plenty not inclined to give GC credit even when you compare the budget league table with the actual league table.
I think the biggest factor in offsetting our low end budget maybe the quality of our current manager IMO.

Grecian Max

There’s plenty not inclined to give GC credit even when you compare the budget league table with the actual league table.
I think the biggest factor in offsetting our low end budget maybe the quality of our current manager IMO.
This isn’t what we’re talking about though 😂

Grecian Max

I’m not sure of your point really… they get a load of away fans through the gate in a big old stand.. our home support is stronger

Thye had two local derbies last season as well, to our zero

Mansfield should be considered on level terms with us as a club

I’m not sure where this discussion goes next really as my original point has been lost in the wind

Taggy and GC: Bottom 2 budget
Hawker: not bottom 2 budget

Those were quoted this season. We are not a bottom 2 side in terms of gates so it would hint at the trust not being fit for purpose going forward if we can’t get a competitive budget together in this league

It’s not the championship, we aren’t fish our of water here

Or GC and Taggy are repeating a sound bite that isn’t true

I suspect it’s the latter, I trust Hawker with the numbers

Last edited:

tavyred

You trust Hawker but it’s based on supposition. 🤷‍♂️