• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, if we're destined to finish in mid-table obscurity, GC is doing it in a way that keeps the season interesting.
True that.

From despair to disbelieving elation.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the budget point, GC is currently demonstrating that we can compete as a mid table League One side, picking up results against the very top teams. Which is what many of us suspected during those dark autumn months.

Does that prove our budget is competitive? Or is GC working miracles?
We’re told that we have a lower mid table budget, so the time to assess GC’s efforts in relation to our budget is at the end of the season. Last season our final league position seemed to mirror our alleged budget position, I expect this season to be broadly similar.
Going forward the question then becomes if GC is the man to buck our budgetary limits and get us competing towards the top of the table.

tavyred

The big issue is that we aren’t in a good position in terms of contracted players - again. Hoping for some good news to come out of the club soon about that, go into March/April and I doubt many if any will sign a new contract based on what we’ve seen before
Do you ever ask yourself the question as to why we struggle to contract players longer term and are seemingly forever having to have a panicky last few days of a summer transfer window in order to build a team good enough for each new season?
I have a theory and it’s got nowt to do with GC and/or Marcus not doing their jobs properly.

Antony Moxey

Do you ever ask yourself the question as to why we struggle to contract players longer term and are seemingly forever having to have a panicky last few days of a summer transfer window in order to build a team good enough for each new season?
I have a theory and it’s got nowt to do with GC and/or Marcus not doing their jobs properly.
Mine is most players coming here see us as a stepping stone so it’s the players themselves who don’t want long contracts. They want to be able to leave easily without the millstone of a transfer fee round their necks. I can’t remember who it was, but a couple of years ago this was definitely the case for at least one player who signed for us.

scottus86

Another 11 points and I'll change my vote! Keep up the good work Gary!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
We’re told that we have a lower mid table budget, so the time to assess GC’s efforts in relation to our budget is at the end of the season. Last season our final league position seemed to mirror our alleged budget position, I expect this season to be broadly similar.
Going forward the question then becomes if GC is the man to buck our budgetary limits and get us competing towards the top of the table.
So which is it - we have a mid table budget, or we have a budget that is so small we should (by rights) be relegated from League One unless we pull something out the hat?

I believe it's the former. Which is why our pre Christmas form was unacceptable.

It feels to me like the limitations of GC's budget according to your theory changes depending on our form.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

We've had two poor summer windows followed up with two strong January windows - which in their own words is the harder and more competitive windows, especially budgetary wise

I suggest you ask yourself a few more questions

Away from that, it wasn't really what my post was about. You said you're excited to see us build on what we have contracted, but the key issue is we are still looking very weak in that area. It will likely be a big rebuild again.

Mid Devon Grecian

We've had two poor summer windows followed up with two strong January windows - which in their own words is the harder and more competitive windows, especially budgetary wise

I suggest you ask yourself a few more questions

Away from that, it wasn't really what my post was about. You said you're excited to see us build on what we have contracted, but the key issue is we are still looking very weak in that area. It will likely be a big rebuild again.
My feeling is that we’re likely to have a much better ‘budgetary’ process now the full time CFO is in place. I would hope this results in securing a few contract extensions and getting the youngsters secured on significantly improved deals.

Would be a good base to work from.

If Eisa and Woods (assuming he does the business) became available I’d push the boat out to secure them. Two proper L1 quality players.

Probably also need to use the loan system quite heavily again but quite relaxed about that as long as we have a spine of the team consisting of our own players.

grecIAN Harris

If Eisa and Woods (assuming he does the business) became available I’d push the boat out to secure them. Two proper L1 quality players.
I'd have thought that us very much the general intention with Eisa given that he is out of contract in the summer

Mid Devon Grecian

I'd have thought that us very much the general intention with Eisa given that he is out of contract in the summer
I reckon he’d be a step change in wages for us though but that’s probably where we need to get to in order to not be flirting with relegation every year.

Will be interesting to hear what the CEO & CFO have to say at the Forum on Thursday.