• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Support for GC creeping up in the voting
I think it had been a steady 89 for a while. Have a feeling these are new votes as opposed to change of mind. I wonder if the club employees are being asked to join and vote for GC.:unsure:

Alistair20000

I think it had been a steady 89 for a while. Have a feeling these are new votes as opposed to change of mind. I wonder if the club employees are being asked to join and vote for GC.:unsure:
It is actually 92/299.

Loving your conspiracy theory :ROFLMAO:

GrecianInWales

I'm very nervous about an excessively "marquee" solution to this problem that is a flop. The big name, big salary player that for some reason fancies a spell with us. Nicky Ajose, but on a larger scale. We dont need a brilliant number 9, we need a normal functioning set of forward options, that might include a quick guy, a big guy, an old guy, a youngster with potential, etc. we're not a single hero short... That's a dangerous trap to fall into IMO.
Would completely agree with this.

Plus players rarely move to clubs like ours in January if they’re tearing up trees elsewhere (unless we dip into non-league but that’s a lot of pressure to put on a striker untested at this level).

GrecianInWales

So blimmin’ frustrating reading this whole thread since Tuesday for so many reasons.

First off, we’ve no idea why the club haven’t sacked Caldwell, so it’s frustrating that a few people have suggested it’s because we can’t afford to sack him (and thus we should sack the board).

We’d be far from the first club not to have factored in the cost of sacking a manager if that’s true but I also suspect that we’d be able to cope better than most if that we’re the case owing to the fact we don’t do it very often and we’re not badly off.

My guess is that while cost of sacking him is obviously a consideration it’s probably more because the Trust / board want to give him another few games, or that there was an ultimatum after X games. Anyway, that’s just a guess based on how we seem to operate and the attitude we take.

Secondly it’s so blimmin frustrating that the club can be really bad with communicating with fans when things go wrong. Going silent or hunkering down is not a good strategy. No matter how well meaning, it creates a vacuum that often allows the issue to get worse.

I get that the club and Trust can may feel a little defensive or hurt by the criticism (some justified, some less so) but that’s the nature of the job. Step up, be proactive with your comms and look at it from the other side.

Plus the clamping down on protest is not a good look for a fan owned club. Given how active we were against Russell and Lewis back in the day, coming down on one homemade banner for an understandable point of view has terrible optics.

I don’t necessarily buy the conspiracy from the top line - I’ve worked with enough orgs to know that staff and volunteers at that level can and will take their own interpretations and actions independently of whatever management thinks.

If it were me, I’d issue a statement saying something like we’ve reminded all our match day staff that the ethos of the Trust is built on democracy and free speech and we allow our fanbase to have a voice. We’re obviously unhappy with the performances as well, but we know the best response we can give is to get back to winning ways. Gary and the players know this and we’ve every confidence in them after seeing the fight and passion against Shrewsbury. We’ve been in worse situations but we win as one, and we hope everybody gets behind the team for our next match.

(Not perfect, but written on the hoof, and not everyone will agree but such is life).

I’d then get the club to reach out to Ash, have a constructive dialogue and look at a way to apologise and make up for his treatment as a long-standing supporter, even if we (by we I mean those at the top of the club not my view - putting myself in their shoes) disagree with his view and how he chose to express it.

Anyway, back to me as me: I just want a decent manager, which probably isn’t this one (he may prove me wrong), better comms, and to get the fanbase back to a point that’s a little less toxic. I don’t think that’s much to ask or unachievable.

gilbertshoot

So blimmin’ frustrating reading this whole thread since Tuesday for so many reasons.

First off, we’ve no idea why the club haven’t sacked Caldwell, so it’s frustrating that a few people have suggested it’s because we can’t afford to sack him (and thus we should sack the board).

We’d be far from the first club not to have factored in the cost of sacking a manager if that’s true but I also suspect that we’d be able to cope better than most if that we’re the case owing to the fact we don’t do it very often and we’re not badly off.

My guess is that while cost of sacking him is obviously a consideration it’s probably more because the Trust / board want to give him another few games, or that there was an ultimatum after X games. Anyway, that’s just a guess based on how we seem to operate and the attitude we take.

Secondly it’s so blimmin frustrating that the club can be really bad with communicating with fans when things go wrong. Going silent or hunkering down is not a good strategy. No matter how well meaning, it creates a vacuum that often allows the issue to get worse.

I get that the club and Trust can may feel a little defensive or hurt by the criticism (some justified, some less so) but that’s the nature of the job. Step up, be proactive with your comms and look at it from the other side.

Plus the clamping down on protest is not a good look for a fan owned club. Given how active we were against Russell and Lewis back in the day, coming down on one homemade banner for an understandable point of view has terrible optics.

I don’t necessarily buy the conspiracy from the top line - I’ve worked with enough orgs to know that staff and volunteers at that level can and will take their own interpretations and actions independently of whatever management thinks.

If it were me, I’d issue a statement saying something like we’ve reminded all our match day staff that the ethos of the Trust is built on democracy and free speech and we allow our fanbase to have a voice. We’re obviously unhappy with the performances as well, but we know the best response we can give is to get back to winning ways. Gary and the players know this and we’ve every confidence in them after seeing the fight and passion against Shrewsbury. We’ve been in worse situations but we win as one, and we hope everybody gets behind the team for our next match.

(Not perfect, but written on the hoof, and not everyone will agree but such is life).

I’d then get the club to reach out to Ash, have a constructive dialogue and look at a way to apologise and make up for his treatment as a long-standing supporter, even if we (by we I mean those at the top of the club not my view - putting myself in their shoes) disagree with his view and how he chose to express it.

Anyway, back to me as me: I just want a decent manager, which probably isn’t this one (he may prove me wrong), better comms, and to get the fanbase back to a point that’s a little less toxic. I don’t think that’s much to ask or unachievable.
Just watch it with the 'blimmin's', mate. There are women, children and small animals that read these threads, too.
PS. Good Post, though 🙂

Ash

Ash.
Firstly may I say that, given my belief that you and your mucker have been volunteering at SJP for many moons, I am so sad and and angry that stewards directed by club employees choose to act against free speech from a fellow Grecian.
If you are indeed a Trust Member just a courteous reminder that :-

1. OUR TRUST'S HANDBOOK gloriously headlined by the strapline "WE OWN OUR FOOTBALL CLUB" apparently underwritten by the Football Supporters Association (FSA) has statements in it like :-

"The Exeter City AFC Supporters Society (the Trust) was set up in 2000 as a vehicle for supporters of Exeter City Football Club to come together democratically and represent the interests of ECFC supporters and benefit the community that the club serves. The Society’s objects are to benefit the community by: • Being the democratic and representative voice of the supporters of the Club and strengthening the bonds between the Club and the communities that it serves. • Achieving the greatest possible supporter and community influence in the running and ownership of the club. • Promoting responsible and constructive community engagement by present and future members of the communities served by the club and encouraging the club to do the same."

2. OUR Trust Rules (enforced by the Financial Conduct Authority) include the following statement :-

"3. Objects The Trust’s objects are, either itself or through a subsidiary company or society trading for the benefit of the community and acting under its control: 3.1 to ensure that the Club is properly governed and takes proper account of the interests of its supporters and of the community, and that professional football continues in Exeter with the appropriate facilities; 3.2 to ensure that the Trust has its views taken into account by the Club and that it holds the appropriate places on the Club’s Board and Sub Boards; 3.3 to operate democratically, fairly, sustainably, transparently and with financial responsibility and encouraging the Club to do the same; 3.4 to be a positive, inclusive, and representative organisation, open and accessible to all supporters of the Club regardless of their age, income, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality or religious or moral belief(s) and without discrimination of any kind; 3.5 to encourage and promote the principle of supporter representation in football clubs and democratic ownership of them; and 3.6 to communicate appropriately with Members."

Given more evidence of clear breaches of Handbook statements / Rules in OUR supposed FAN OWNED CLUB, at risk of losing my Trust Membership under 6.3. ("The Trust Board shall have power to refuse membership to any person who does not in the opinion of the Trust Board meet these requirements and shall inform that person of the reason(s) for that decision in writing") I intend writing to various grown ups and, if the Trust Board decides NOT to honour it's OWN policies, report them for investigation by the both the Financial Conduct Authority & the Football Supporters Association.

Getting last nights draconian actions reported in the next FSA newsletter and national papers might bring the Trust claimed "Rosey" supposed Trust model some publicity it deserves.

I thank all those that have given us the last 20 years but fear that the current Trust "controlling mind" has lost the representative plot.
UTC & apologies to you Ash - if it's any solace I will always buy my 50:50 tickets from you but fully understand if you withdraw your labour for a while until the "controlling mind" decides to recognise democracy.

I am more than happy
Thank you for your support. However disappointed I am about what happened, I'll never withdraw my labour. There was a period during Tisdale's reign when I was so disillusioned by the football on display and by Tis himself, that occasionally I really didn't want to attend games. Even then I'd turn up, sell 50:50 and head home at kick off. Only happened a handful of times and depressing as that was, I still felt I should support the club and not let anyone down. So I'll always be available as long as I'm wanted. And if I'm not wanted, I'll attend and be in the bank like everyone else. UTC

Grecian Max

The “not being able to afford sacking managers” came from our President’s mouth - this coupled with the lack of any movement despite a ridiculous run means people will rightfully put two and two together.

DB9

The “not being able to afford sacking managers” came from our President’s mouth - this coupled with the lack of any movement despite a ridiculous run means people will rightfully put two and two together.
To silence any disccusion about the current situation, Chuck that line into the mix is intended to "Frighten" people into keeping things as it is.

Trapdoor

Changing manager probably has a low % chance of affecting the outcome of this season (relegation fight.) Therefore its more cost effective to simply run down GCs contract and eat the probable relegation. I think in an ideal world we would terminate the contract and stay up but the economics dont make sense when considering the new manager probably wouldnt keep us up either.

Grecian Max

To silence any disccusion about the current situation, Chuck that line into the mix is intended to "Frighten" people into keeping things as it is.
It certainly seems to have worked as I’ve seen multiple people use it across all platforms.

If it’s genuinely true (I don’t believe it is) after the Tisdale roller and the fact that GC was not sought after, then surely big questions have to asked around the legitimacy of those making these decisions.

As for silencing protesting, that’s just extremely bad form. Obviously the club can decide what happens on private property, so it begs the question who is this club being run for?

The sad thing about this is the way the whole thing is being dealt with is causing friction and division. It’s not been long since that Barrow game and the feel good factor, would like to get some unity back for this relegation fight asap. Guess we’ll have to waste a few more games until we get that - just hope we can make up the numbers in the new year.