• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Tagg meant we can't afford to exist as a club like Watford, cycling through managers and probably having a backlog of about 3 or 4 who are still drawing a wage.

Do people think he's on a lot more than an experienced player? We can't just endlessly grow the squad, but if a key player gets injured or can't do it for whatever reason, we're not completely crippled. I know there are coaching staff etc on the books, and some of them would leave with the boss, but what are we talking here in terms of how many people leave, the salaries and lengths of contract?

Strikes me as something you don't want to be regularly doing, rather than a reason to stick with a guy. It's at the point of recruitment that we need to be careful. No one suggested we persevere with Ajose up front when it became clear he couldn't do it.

noel_blake

I take it the Goal of the month competition is officially a tie ?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Tagg meant we can't afford to exist as a club like Watford, cycling through managers and probably having a backlog of about 3 or 4 who are still drawing a wage.
Superb whatifery. Does anyone think that that's likely to be the case, given we haven't sacked a manager in over 20 years? We get a bad un but can't get rid because it'll mean we're a club that goes through three or four a season? Fantastic leap that one.

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just one more point on this financial hurdle to sacking the manager thing.

The costs also often include building up a stock of players the next manager doesn't fancy and we can't get out the door until their contracts run down as they're on a better deal than they'd get elsewhere. There are very strong reasons why it makes a lot of sense to not chop and change managers all the time. When you can see you've got the wrong man though, you need to get rid as soon as possible and NOT give him money to bring new guys in.

I'm not speaking from the perspective of someone who always wants managers gone if the team struggles a bit. The last time I was convinced we had the wrong guy was the other side of our stint in non-league. Having managers that stick around for long periods needs to be down to recruiting the right people. Keeping the wrong people is not a good substitute for this.

GrecianInWales

Rather than bicker over what or wasn’t said or the intent behind it, does anybody have a link to the comments and the context they were said in?

I missed the comments originally.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Superb whatifery. Does anyone thing that that's likely to be the case, given we haven't sacked a manager in over 20 years? We get a bad un but can't get rid because it'll mean we're a club that goes through three or four a season? Fantastic leap that one.
What do you mean, whatifery? It's my take on what he meant. I don't think he was implying that we're prevented from making a managerial change because of finances. I think he meant we have to be careful as a club to manage managerial turnover carefully. Maybe my take is wrong, maybe there's only rhetoric between those two concepts- you're free to judge for yourself.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rather than bicker over what or wasn’t said or the intent behind it, does anybody have a link to the comments and the context they were said in?

Enjoy... some other interesting soundbites on there, including one or two that hint at how they're dealing with the fans right now

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

He said it during his interview on the my new football club podcast a couple of weeks back.

Grecianman135

I can't post it directly but search on Spotify the My new football club podcast and there is a special on there with Taggy and he openly says 'Some fans think we can't afford to sack a manager' *he chuckles* and it's true *he chuckles again.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

Enjoy... some other interesting soundbites on there, including one or two that hint at how they're dealing with the fans right now
OK, not listen to this one.