• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bowman signs

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have a lot of friends up this way who know the football very well (I dont because its awful!!)

The Well fans absolutely loved him, always put in a shift and as long as he gives 100% every game theres not much more Id ask from a player.
One of the guys seemed to think he was better in Scotland than Stockley, but Aberdeen never once built their team around Jayden whereas we did.
This is partially correct. Certainly, the Well fans liked Bowman's effort, commitment, & team-player mentality. He had a good partnership with his fellow striker a couple of seasons ago, & both players flourished. However, he has struggled more recently, & Well fans were not overly disappointed to see him go. Mostly, while praising his 100% effort, they drew attention to his limited footballing skills.

He will certainly not match Stockley for ability. However, as some have said, if he works well with his fellow strikers, he may turn out to be a decent signing.

Most importantly, I think that it's right to say that we shouldn't be building our team around him, as we have done in the past with players like Harley, Cureton, Grimes & most recently, Stockley.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
He may also allow us to play 4 - 4 - 2 more with him and Forte up front.

Bowman's work rate has been mentioned a lot, this could allow us to play more of a pressing game with our strikers defending from the front, when we have played 4 - 4 - 2 this season we have often looked weak in midfield however Bowman is far more mobile than Stockley which should help the midfield out a lot.

I think Taylor is slowly building a team that is full of running and work rate, the likes of Law and Lee Martin certainly fit the bill in this regard, they also have quality on the ball.

Building a team takes time, whilst I think we already have a decent side it will be interesting to see how our team shapes up a year or two down the line.

Last edited:

Stelios

This is partially correct. Certainly, the Well fans liked Bowman's effort, commitment, & team-player mentality. He had a good partnership with his fellow striker a couple of seasons ago, & both players flourished. However, he has struggled more recently, & Well fans were not overly disappointed to see him go. Mostly, while praising his 100% effort, they drew attention to his limited footballing skills.
Yes that's the impression I got from reading twitter. Decent player. Gives 100%. But not the end of the world that he's left. But as someone else pointed out he had a decent record in the Conference/National league. I'm surprised we haven't heard from any Torquay fans (good or bad).

This article is worth a read (click for the comments too). It is 4.5 years old so bear that in mind.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11318710.Bowman_leaves_for_Torquay/

So far Taylor seems to have a good eye for a player and if he can help to get more out of Forte it could be a good partnership.

Last edited:

dontpassback

Matt Taylor has made some good signings since becoming manager,and he clearly knows the type of players he wants,he doesn’t sign crocked players and with his changes on the back room staff with a view to more scouting can only be beneficial for the clubs future ,all good stuff(clap)

Boyo

Do we know how many years his contract is? Sorry If it's obvious somewhere and I missed it.

chunkymorrinmunter

He will certainly not match Stockley for ability. However, as some have said, if he works well with his fellow strikers, he may turn out to be a decent signing.

Most importantly, I think that it's right to say that we shouldn't be building our team around him, as we have done in the past with players like Harley, Cureton, Grimes & most recently, Stockley.
Got a feeling he could be the next cult hero, aka Flackie

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
My concern is he'll be the next Parkin, Cummins, Simpson

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
My concern is he'll be the next Parkin, Cummins, Simpson
He won't be.

Terryhall

He won't be.
I hope you are right but none of us know how any transfer will turn out. He might score a beauty on his debut and get totally knacked and be the next Will Hoskins. He might go almost 30 games without a goal before scoring an unlikely overhead kick on TV and be the next Clinton Morrison. He might do a half decent job and work hard and keep us ticking over up front without ever really pulling up any trees and be the next Richard Logan. Anyone claiming to know today what the future holds ought to divert their attention to the lottery or Brexit and not waste time predicting footballer performance.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope you are right but none of us know how any transfer will turn out. He might score a beauty on his debut and get totally knacked and be the next Will Hoskins. He might go almost 30 games without a goal before scoring an unlikely overhead kick on TV and be the next Clinton Morrison. He might do a half decent job and work hard and keep us ticking over up front without ever really pulling up any trees and be the next Richard Logan. Anyone claiming to know today what the future holds ought to divert their attention to the lottery or Brexit and not waste time predicting footballer performance.
It's called making a judgement / prediction.

If we had resigned Robbie Simpson I would have described it as pointless signing that won't result in much.

My view on Bowman is based on what I know about the lad and what I think Matt Taylor and his staff will get out of him.

Last edited: