• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we really good enough....

citizen33

I'm still delighted with promotion but cautious about our prospects. I would still have liked to see one or two additional experienced signings, especially a winger. A lot will depend on whether Saunders can do the kind of job in midfield or wide that some are supposing. If so, great, but I am not convinced that we have replaced Carlisle. It is a little worrying that Tis is hinting that Saunders' fitness is still in doubt. What I would really dread is getting off to a bad start and then assuming we can bring in a couple of players in the January window to get out of trouble. It will be harder in this league to change a trend of results.

thermopylai

Blimey... a lot of pessimism about. Hate to see what will happen when we get trounced 3-0 at Darlington...

Seriously though - a mid-table finish is certainly possible if we get off to a decent start; sneaking into the play offs is possible, but would require an exceptional season and a slice of luck. We cannot be complacent - but I don't think under Tiz we ever would be.

The bottom line is we are a stronger club now than five years ago. I honestly think we have a better chance of challenging for the play offs this coming season than we did our last couple of years in the league. As several have said, we play a better style of football (and our best performances this season may well come against the top sides).

There is still time to sign more players if Tis thinks we need them - but his caution has done us well over the last 2 seasons, and I trust him now.

So here's to a stunning season. I expect us to win at least three trophies. Anything less will be abject failure!

Newtonpop

Anyone can sign the 11 best player's at their level, doesn't mean you are signing a team.

DevonSent

I would like to see an experienced centre half come in. Matty T and Danny were good in the BSP but the quality of strikers in League 2 is so much better. Sir Rob could of course drop back in but does he have the legs to play there regularly? It will only take a few injuries to happen before we are really struggling in that position.
I also think that McCallister will have to make an impact early on because he was a questionable signing in my opinion.
Having said that, the squad has team spirit, momentum and a great manager. It will be great to see the likes of Deano, George F and Harley playing at a higher level. Exciting times.
Are we really good enough........well, we are there so let's go and find out!!

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, for my first post on Exeweb, I'd better make it a positive statement.

Basically, I have no idea how well we'll do. *-)

It's been five years since we've been in the league, I don't know whether the standards changed, what the general style of football is, how our youngsters will adapt to it, or anything much, to be honest.

Which is why I'm delighted Tiz has decided to take a wait-and-see approach. IF we aren't being competitive he can change it with fresh blood. Yet it's clearly only right to see how it goes. The momentum from last year may make any new signings superfluous, and a rash of new signings may mess with the camaraderie we've built up.

We should just relish the stability of the situation, both financially and playing-wise, rather then scream for the changes which might effect both positives, in my opinion. [ecfc]
That's a good 1st post :)

Many of the concerns voiced here are valid...but, let's not forget the qualities that took us to where we are. These qualities haven't disappeared overnight. The evidence is on the pitch, in the dug-out, & 'behind the scenes'...

...I've yet to hear a cogent argument which tells us why we should be pessimistic, rather then optimistic, about next season...

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
...I've yet to hear a cogent argument which tells us why we should be pessimistic, rather then optimistic, about next season...
What's wrong with pragmatic...?

We have enough to survive, but maybe not enough to compete.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone can sign the 11 best player's at their level, doesn't mean you are signing a team.
[y] Chelsea :D End of the day that team does not produce the results you'd expect (as in they didn't win everything)

And can everyone stop with the pessimism. I've had all positive waves for weeks and you miserable gits are ******* on my bonfire. If we reach Christmas with only 9 points then you can start with the downer stuff. But until we see what happens there can be no harm in a little hope.

Swanaldo

If we reach Christmas with only 9 points
We'll remember where we heard it first Mr Jan Yeo...!

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's wrong with pragmatic...?

We have enough to survive, but maybe not enough to compete.
Looks suspiciously like you're signing up to 3rd-way-ism, Swanny!!! Either that, or you're demonstrating admirable logical precision - as I'd expect from a descendant of the Athens of the North! :)

In the same spirit...if we didn't have enough to compete...would we have enough to survive???

Swanaldo

...if we didn't have enough to compete...would we have enough to survive???
Any other year - possibly not.

This year - Probably yes.

(due to points deductions)