• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we really good enough....

Juggling Monkey

Administrator
Panther appears to be our only goalscoring addition to what we had last season...
Oh dear. You're going to be really depressed to hear that he scored four goals in 124 appearances for York... :p

Enjoy this rare footage of a Panther strike.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
This may sound trite, but I personally believe that our style of play is better suited to League 2 than it was to the Conference.

This ECFC team like time on the ball and in League 2 they'll get it. In the seasons prior to relegation we were long ball merchants. You could count the number of passes on one hand. It was always 1-2-3 HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. We're not like that anymore and I bet we raise more than one or two eyebrows next season.

LL
[y] Always thought that. When teams tried to play a game of football against us then we quite often did well. When we ended up in a game of tennis 40ft in the air then we made stupid mistakes and ended up losing to crap teams. Players like Harley, Edwards, Friend, Stanno, Moxey, they're all passing players. The one person who plays conference style on the attack is Danny Seaborne but he's a pretty good defender so we'll let him off ;)

Do I expect to be winning all the time? No. Do I expect to finish in the playoffs? No. Do I expect a top half finish? Maybe. Do I expect mid-table? Yup [y]

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete - is it all the years of supporting City...or the dodgy effects of whatever it is they put in the water over there to make everyone's teeth all smiley & bright...that condemns you to suffer from glass-half-empty pessimism? :)

Who knows if we'll be good enough to prosper in League 2? I suspect we've got talented enough players, who play a good style of football, & have a deep confidence in their abilities, to ensure that we'll do ok. But it's absolutely clear that Tis is taking nothing for granted. In particular - it's clear that he's decided against spending pots of money in advance of seeing what sort of players do, or do not, flourish at the next level up. This seems to me like good sense - it gives him some financial breathing space if things aren't looking good by, say, around Autumn; whilst simultaneously allowing him to carry on investing in the kind of young players which, as he said just this week, will form the true future of the Club.

As was said above - it's going to be great fun seeing how we fare this season back in League football

* the official 'perspective from the glass-half-full' opinion *

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was hoping we might have signed a named striker, but don't forget we have a bunch of trailists that might produce a gem yet.
Tiz will have money to strengthen if the season isn't going well, but I think a mid-table finish would be a great achievement. Look at the Daggers last year- romped away with the league, didn't bring in players and were caught in a relegation dog fight most of the season.
We certainly don't want to be in that.

Had a chat with Glenn (Cronin) other day and from being at Chester and looking at teams in League 2 each week he said it will be the equivilent of us playing top 5 Conference sides week in week out.

city_is_my_life

Well our results against the top 6 in the Conference was won 4, drew 3 and lost 3. So that's 15 points every 10 games. Over the course of a 46 games season that works out at about 68 points. Pretty respectable I would say.

CIML

DevonSent

Had a chat with Glenn (Cronin) other day and from being at Chester and looking at teams in League 2 each week he said it will be the equivilent of us playing top 5 Conference sides week in week out.
Interesting, we did well against the teams at the top if I remember rightly.

ECFC07

I'm more worried about the complacency of many Exewebers, I do believe that we won't get relegated, but we will certainly have a struggle, expect a 19th, maybe 20th place finish IMO.

Lister

I do believe that we won't get relegated, but we will certainly have a struggle, expect a 19th, maybe 20th place finish IMO.
Based on what? A general pessimism (called City-itis I reckon!) or a reasoned arguement based on the squad we haven't even seen play yet?

ECFC JP

i think so
but now we are in the league i
think we have to be a lot more consistent
with our results.

Ian Mancey

Personally I believe and trust in Tis.
Have a feeling we will be pushing for a play off place!