• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An EMBARRASSING day to be an Exeter fan

AndrewP

I was there, and it was a very embarrasing day to be a Grecian. Ill educated morons, 2 smoke cannisters (1 before kick off and one thrown on the pitch during the game which was ultimately kicked away by Simpson I think) and as for the ****** off Tisdale chants?... I maintain than, during the 90 mins, all suppport should be positive and vocal.... All the idots behind the goal did was create nagativity which will have been felt by the players. Not only that, but at an away game there are chants against the manager ???. Baffling and very sad indeed.

Certainly, I have always felt that PT has a air of arrogance about him - The way he usually bolts down the tunnel on the final whilstle with no regognition to the fans, often being a little "spikey" in post match interviews etc etc....but during the 90 mins.......telling him to **** off is absolutely out of order - and I have some sympathy with him for his brief reaction!!. The fact that it started after the 2nd, which was a calamitous **** up in defence and goalkeeping is hardly his fault now is it?!

Not quite sure what Steve Perryman was trying to achieve - perhaps ensuring the day ended on a positive note ?.

All in all, really sad - I wish some people who pertain to be fans would grow up and act like members of the human race!.

Last edited:

Leads

It was embarrassing for all concerned and no one came away looking good. Exeter, just like any other club has a fair amount of not very pleasant people who support the team (or don’t in today’s case). As was mentioned earlier in the thread and on the Luton MDT there was racist chanting at Kenilworth Road and the only comment in reply was along the lines of “racism can work both ways”.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I wasn't there either but had I been I certainly wouldn't have been chucking a smoker or telling the manager the fek orf.
Neither would I. What we need now is some real passion to get this team over the line. Both fans and players.

J-Han

So the football club fecks up but it's the fans fault. How many times have we heard that recently?
The football club fecked up? You mean the team lost a game of football on a bad day. Who said it was the fans' fault? It seems incredibly odd to be fourth in the league with a play-off spot at the very least guaranteed and the fans start chanting 'time to go' and '****** off Tisdale'.

If you can dish it, you should be able to take it. Nobody forces people to go to games and dish out abuse when as things currently stand we're having a pretty successful season on the back of a season where we failed at the very last hurdle, it shouldn't be surprised that someone is going to snap a little given all of that and then have it chanted at them time to go. C'mon...

No. I'm in Venice. Were you there sitting politely applauding failure?
Again, fourth in the league is failure? Guaranteed play-off spot and like the old saying 'the league table doesn't lie', meaning we're currently the fourth best team in the league, is failure? You may want to go and support another team if it's not enough challenging the top end of the table.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Again, fourth in the league is failure? Guaranteed play-off spot and like the old saying 'the league table doesn't lie', meaning we're currently the fourth best team in the league, is failure? You may want to go and support another team if it's not enough challenging the top end of the table.
What an utterly pathetic comment.

I'm a season ticket holder so why would I want to go elsewhere? We have a decent budget this season, as we will next season. L2 football next season is not a measure of success.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
A few years back the support at away matches was 100% behind the team and there was talk on here that the players were more relaxed than at home because of it.What's changed?

J-Han

What an utterly pathetic comment.

I'm a season ticket holder so why would I want to go elsewhere? We have a decent budget this season, as we will next season. L2 football next season is not a measure of success.
We do not have a divine right to be anywhere. We have done incredibly well, not denying a few wobbles and some of the football hasn't always been too pretty on the eye, but we are Exeter City - we are, by rights, a typical League Two team. Many of us harbour ambitions to be a sustainable League One team, and who knows, beyond! But right now with our current stature, budget, etc, we are a League Two team with no divine right to be anywhere. We're still in with a chance of promotion and if we do get clinch that, which is certainly possible, it would have been a successful season.

But no, with all to play for, please by all means "applaud failure".

And you're a season ticket holder? Luckily we only have one game left in the league (excluding play-offs) so if you want to go and watch a team that doesn't applaud "failure" (4th place, still in with a shout of promotion) then now would be the perfect time! (y) ;)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was embarrassing for all concerned and no one came away looking good. Exeter, just like any other club has a fair amount of not very pleasant people who support the team (or don’t in today’s case). As was mentioned earlier in the thread and on the Luton MDT there was racist chanting at Kenilworth Road and the only comment in reply was along the lines of “racism can work both ways”.
Yes a sad fact of life I used to go to away games but stopped doing so a number of years ago for just this reason.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
And you're a season ticket holder? Luckily we only have one game left in the league (excluding play-offs) so if you want to go and watch a team that doesn't applaud "failure" (4th place, still in with a shout of promotion) then now would be the perfect time! (y) ;)
I appreciate that you're involved with the Club and therefore sensitive to criticism of the Club, but telling a season ticket to go elsewhere is not good business!

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
There's the usual quota on here who were NOT at the match but again willing to have a stab an a dig at the manager for what allegedly happened. I was there never saw Tis make any gesture toward the fans at all. Yes he did shepherd the players off as they applauded the fans along with Tisdale.
The idiot who threw the smoke canister needs banning for life end of.
The few who chanted "Tisdale out" were soon drowned out by those chanting "there's only one Paul Tisdale" and they were applauded by Steve Perryman.
As for the actual match it was obvious that They were faster on the ball every time, Moxey was never going to contain their winger and the mix up between Pym and Sweeney was just pathetic. Pym in my opinion should have been far more positive and claimed the ball, he seemed to hesitate and then it was simply too late.
Our 3 subs made a huge difference but alas all too late, should they have started? well you know i'm a Tisdale fan but I can see why some are upset at why they didn't start.
Play offs it is. Lets get behind the team
Ok you didn't see a gesture, however other people who were there claim he did. I see no reason why they would make it up and if he did in relation to people shouting for him to sort it out then it doesn't offend me but he would be in the wrong imo.

If it transpires that he did nothing wrong I would be happy to say sorry, but having observed him at games and listened to a lot of interviews I can well believe it. If some fans are out of order, and he ignores it then he would be able to claim the moral high ground.